Meet the Weight Loss Expert: Kelly CurciArticle posted in: Nutrisystem
To say that Nutrisystem Weight Loss Coach Kelly Curci is good at her job is a bit of an understatement. That’s because for this weight loss expert, helping people rediscover their health and happiness is more passion than profession. Our customers love Kelly’s dedication to helping them reach their goals, and she loves celebrating their successes. We call that a total weight loss win-win!
If you haven’t had the pleasure of catching up with this upbeat lady, find out what she’s all about by reading her upbeat Q&A below, then be sure to tune in to our live Facebook chat with her on Thursday at 7 p.m. She’ll be covering the topic of flex meals.
1. Have you or anyone in your family ever struggled with your weight? If so, how has that experience shaped your approach to coaching?
I have not struggled with weight loss myself, but I am extremely passionate about health and fitness. It is my one thing that I can fully control; one of the very few things in life where my efforts and hard work directly match my results. The feeling of reaching goals that you never thought you’d attain is enough to keep you hungry for more (no pun intended). This alone has added so much quality to my life and I just want everyone to share my same passion!
2. What is one thing you wished every customer knew?
You are not alone! Going through a weight loss journey can be extremely challenging and it is in no way easy. It comes with its ups and downs but it does not have to be something that our customers have to go through on their own. Let us take some of the worry from you and help ease your mind that this will be attainable as long as you believe you can do it.
3. How do you survive holidays/birthdays/celebrations healthy-style?
Always, always, always plan ahead. You can bring your own special treat so that you know exactly what kind of nutrients you’ll be taking in. The Leaf is a great source for ideas and guilt-free recipes that you won’t feel bad about indulging in. I always pack a quick SmartCarb and PowerFuel (banana and salt-free nuts) in my bag or purse wherever I go in the case I don’t feel comfortable eating what is provided. Another thing you could do is eat before you go to the celebration. Eat your meal ahead of time. Most parties have a veggie or fruit tray to for snacking once you get there. Plus, you won’t be too hungry anyway after already having had your Nutrisystem meal prior to attending the function.
4. What would you say to someone who is convinced they’ll never lose that weight or get healthier?
My first instinct is to always put myself in customers’ shoes. I like to delve a little deeper to find the real reason they want to lose weight and get healthier. What motivates you? A lot of the times people just need a little re-motivating. It is crucial to focus on the smaller goals first as a 100-pound weight loss goal may be a bit overwhelming to think about all at once.
However, I also try my best to help my customers understand that they are an individual and there is no one out there with the same body composition as them. We are going to find the best approach for YOU and the first step is calling us and talking about it. It is also important to understand that not all successes are seen by pounds lost on the scale. A lot of people get wrapped up in the numbers on the scale and miss out on the opportunity to celebrate other accomplishments as well! Some of these may include inches lost, getting back into an old favorite pair of jeans, better sleep, more energy, reaching a personal record at the gym, or even the ability to bend down and tie your shoes again.
Time is going to pass regardless, we might as well give it our best shot and be healthy while we’re at it!
5. How do you turn around a bad day?
I think it’s so important to remember that there is no point in worrying about the things you cannot control. The past is the past and it can’t be undone. If you cheated and divulged in pizza one night, be bummed for a moment, understand why you feel that way, and then let those feelings go. What you can control NOW is drinking a glass of water to flush out some of those toxins and maybe get a little extra exercise in today and tomorrow. We’re human and humans aren’t perfect, and that’s OK. Our reaction to a situation is everything!
6. Why did you choose to be a Weight Loss Coach?
I want everyone to find a love for a healthy lifestyle just as I have. You only have one life! Helping people has always been something I’ve loved doing. When I am able to help someone come to the realization that they are worth their dreams—and that those dreams are attainable with a little dedication mixed with a goal—it gives me the most satisfying feeling. You know you are in the right place if you are smiling waking up in the morning.
7. What’s the one best tip you give someone when coaching?
- The best way to predict your future is to invent it yourself. Your mind and body are capable of some impressive things, challenge it!
- Find a motivational quote that lights a fire under you. Write it on little post-its and place them wherever you need them! You can place one on the corner of the bathroom mirror to start your day off on a positive note as you wake up, on that box of cookies that your husband still brings into the house, or maybe even on your sneakers to remind you to get your exercise in. No one knows you and what you need more than yourself, so finding the right motivational message/quote may be exactly the push you need. You’ll thank yourself later.
- For the family-oriented person: What good are you to your family, children, spouse or friends if you are not taking care of yourself? Sometimes you have to look out for yourself, too, in order make sure to be your healthiest and happiest self for your loved ones.
8. Can you tell us about a time when you helped someone through your job and it impacted your life?
I will never forget this one time, I’d been in the department for only about a week or so—still getting comfortable with my job—and a customer told me that she felt as if she had known me for years and considered me her friend. This almost brought me to tears as there is no better feeling than making someone feel comfortable in such an uncomfortable time in his/her life. I do my best to talk to each one of my customers as if they were a family member. If my mom was calling into a coaching center, I would want her to get the best possible service and that’s what I aim to do for every one of our clients.
9. What is the most popular question you get?
Flex meals come up a lot. I feel like a lot of people don’t understand how to decipher this on the daily tracking pages or how beneficial they actually are to your program. Flex meals were created based on customer feedback for a number of reasons:
- Flex meals give you the opportunity to enjoy some time dining out with your friends and family; we provide our customers with a “Dining Out Guide” which is a wonderful resource with several specific examples of what you can have as it pertains to multiple restaurants!
- Taking advantage of your flex meals also give you the advantage of creating healthy meals on your own so that you can rest assured that you will be able to maintain your weight loss once you are off of our program. What better time to start practicing those healthy dishes than while you are on the program? You can even use the Nutrisystem meals as guidance to help you start mimicking portion sizes!
- Creating meals on your own also changes the pace from the Nutrisystem meals, which can help to boost that metabolism even more.
10. What’s your favorite Nutrisystem entrée?
What a hard question! I love the Mushroom Stuffed Chicken Breast for dinner, and the Three Cheese Chicken for lunch and Stuffed Apple Pie for snack. And all the lunch melts!
11. How do you fit fitness into your day?
I head right to them gym after work. I pack my gym bag and my post-workout protein shake the night before and have it ready so that I can’t make any excuses for myself. If I go home and sit down I’m not getting back up! You have the control to make it easy to succeed.
12. What’s a great day at work look like for you?
A great work day is any day that I get a truly challenging coaching call… the kind of call where a customer is tracking in his/her daily tracker, exercising, spacing everything wonderfully yet still not seeing the recommended results. I love being able to delve deeper into someone’s program to truly finding the root of what may be causing a bump in the road. It’s also a great day when someone reports back that they tried out a coaches suggestion and it helped them see some results. We care!
13. When you cheat, what do you choose?
Sushi! Sushi is my favorite food in the whole world. My friend and I have a weekly sushi date right after doing a hot yoga class; we feel like we’ve earned it in that sense and don’t feel so bad about treating ourselves.
14. What are your favorite SmartCarbs?
Bananas are always my go-to SmartCarb because they are super portable and filling. I also come from an Italian family so a half cup cooked whole wheat pasta is a favorite of mine, too.
15. Share your favorite quote with us?
“When you’re about to quit, remember why you started.”