Meet the Weight Loss Expert: Lu SpitzerArticle posted in: Nutrisystem
Meet Nutrisystem Weight Loss Coach Louise (Lu) Spitzer. Lu is an enthusiastic weight loss expert who understands what it’s like to struggle with losing weight. Get to know Lu with our quick Q&A below, then join us Thursday, June 16, at 7 p.m. for our next Facebook Live Event, during which Lu will be discussing the topic of enjoying your vacation without totally derailing your diet!
1. Have you or anyone in your family ever struggled with your weight? If so, how has that experience shaped your approach to coaching?
I have struggled with my weight my whole life. First diet at 12 and never stopped. When I finally found success, I wanted to help everyone else find success, too!
2. What is one thing you wished every customer knew?
That they have it in them to be successful!
3. How do you survive holidays/birthdays/celebrations healthy-style?
I just do my best! I wouldn’t put one slice of turkey on my plate and call it Thanksgiving dinner! I pick my favorites and have small portions of them and I skip the things I don’t absolutely love! I try and have extra veggies and lots of water, too. I also keep in mind that these events are holiDAYS not holiWEEKS or holiMONTHS! Have your festive meal then get back on track.
4. What would you say to someone who is convinced they’ll never lose that weight or get healthier?
It might not be easy and it might not be quick but it can happen and it will if you believe it will.
5. How do you turn around a bad day?
It is so easy to self-talk yourself into making a bad day worse, but just as easy to use positive self-talk to turn it around. Think about something that makes you happy. Don’t let an event control your emotions. You can’t control everything but only you can control your attitude!
6. Why did you choose to be a Weight Loss Coach?
I think it chose me! I would coach people on weight loss everywhere I went—parties, supermarkets drug stores. When this opportunity was presented to me to help so many people it was a no-brainer!
7. What’s the one best tip you give someone when coaching?
Forgive yourself! No one is perfect. We all slip occasionally. If you break one egg, you don’t throw away the other 11. If you have a bad meal, put it in the past and continue like it is a new day.
8. Can you tell us about a time when you helped someone through your job and it impacted your life?
We get to touch so many people’s lives every day. Every story, every triumph and every setback of every customer and coach since I started here has impacted my life!
9. What is the most popular question you get?
So many. “Do I have to eat ?” stands out. It goes against what we think we know about weight loss, that less is more. But this is not always the case.
10. What’s your favorite Nutrisystem entrée?
Mushroom Risotto and Mushroom Stuffed Chicken Breast.
11. How do you fit exercise into your day?
I do Spartan obstacle races so I am always training in some way. I run and go to the gym often. I step up on and jump over things. I always take the stairs if they are an option and I try to get 10,000 steps everyday even if it means taking an occasional walk around the department or walking up and down the stairs in my house.
12. What’s a great day at work look like for you?
Making a difference—whether completing a project, helping a customer with a problem or helping a coach. I miss the daily interaction with customers, but by helping the coaches, I feel like I actually get to help all of our customers.
13. When you cheat, what do you choose?
I’m a sugar addict. Cookies and Swedish fish are my favorites.
14. What are your favorite SmartCarbs?
I admit I love the white, carby foods: Flour, sugar and rice. But I mostly avoid them. I go for healthy grains like farro and quinoa and freekah, and fruit (especially in the summer!). I love fruit!
15. Share your favorite quote with us?
“If you think you can or think you can’t—you are right! Choose to think you can!”