How to Maintain Weight Loss: 11 Expert TipsArticle posted in: Nutrisystem Success
You spend a lot of time focusing on losing weight and getting healthy. And once you’re there or almost there, you discover that a new challenge arises: How to maintain weight loss.
Maintenance can be make-it or break-it time for many people. “Sometimes, after completing a weight loss program, people can return to old habits, and leave their ‘healthy option and portion control’ mindset behind,” says Chelsea Lovell, Nutrisystem dietary counselor.
But here’s the good news: Studies by the National Weight Control Registry (NWCR), which follows a group of people who have lost 30 pounds or more and kept it off for more than a year, have found that the more conscientious you are about following all the good habits you’ve learned, the better your chance of staying slim for life.
And even better news: With Nutrisystem you didn’t lose it alone and you don’t have to maintain weight loss alone, either. With the new Nutrisystem Success program, you’ll gradually transition from Nutrisystem meals to flex meals and snacks you prepare for yourself.
To make it super easy, you’ll receive a set of color-coded, portion controlled containers that are designed to “take a lot of the thought process out of maintenance,” says Lovell. There’s no weighing and measuring: Each container will give you a perfect portion of fruit, starchy and non-starchy veggies, whole grains, beans and legumes, meat and meat substitutes. They’ll help you make clean, healthy meals on your own. Plus, you’ll continue to receive your favorite Nutrisystem foods in whatever quantity you’re comfortable with.
“Sometimes it is easy to forget, and let portions get out of control. But these containers help to keep everything consistent, and your body on track,” says Lovell.
Staying on track will also take some personal effort. The successful losers (average loss: 66 pounds) of the NWCR have a number of habits in common: Most of them eat breakfast, weigh themselves regularly, maintain a consistent eating pattern all week (i.e. don’t get calorie crazy on the weekends), watch fewer than 10 hours of TV a week, and exercise on average about an hour a day.
To those five tips, Lovell added six more that have helped Nutrisystem clients stay the course.
Here are her six extra tips on how to maintain weight loss:
1. Eat consistently throughout the day so you don’t get hungry and overdo it or binge.
2. Remember that vegetables are your friend. You can munch on them between meals and use them to add more bulk to your meals.
3. Make workouts a regular part of your routine. Mark them on your calendar or day planner. Even better: Add them to your cellphone calendar and set up alerts so you can’t forget.
4. Avoid menu boredom by finding healthier versions of your favorite meals (even burgers and pizza can have a healthy makeover) and ways to spice up—literally—your meals. “If you are not enjoying what you are eating, it can be very hard to stick with it,” she says.
5. Carry around a large water bottle with you to make sure you’re getting enough. Remember, it’s easy to mistake thirst for hunger since we get much of our fluid from the food we eat.
6. Use those containers! It makes meal prepping seamless so you can have a prepared meal on the table usually in 20 minutes or less.
Ready to try Success? We’ve got you covered! If you’re a Nutrisystem customer ready to take the next step, click here. Not a current customer, but want an easy way to maintain your weight? Get started here.