5 Simple and Delicious Chicken RecipesArticle posted in: Recipes
As versatile as it is tasty, chicken is a year-round staple in many homes. Read on for five healthy, delicious ways to prepare this meal-time must-have this summer.
1. Chicken Pita Pocket
Makes 1 serving
This super simple recipe, which includes veggies, whole grains and lean protein, makes for a tasty meal at home or on the go. On Nutrisystem, this delicious dish counts as 1 Vegetable, 2 Powerfuels, 1 SmartCarb and 2 Limited Extras.
- 1/2 cup chopped baby spinach
- 4 oz cooked skinless, boneless chicken
- 1/2 cup sliced red bell pepper
- 2 Tbsp low-fat Italian vinaigrette
- 1 (6-inch) whole-grain pita, cut in half
- Combine spinach, chicken, bell pepper and dressing
- Serve in pita halves
2. Simple Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken
Makes 4 servings
Thought slow cookers were only for winter stews and soups? Think again! Throw a few easy ingredients in your crockpot for this simple, savory dish that can be enjoyed all summer long. If you’re following the Nutrisystem program, count this dish as 2 PowerFuels, 1 Extra and 1 Vegetable.
- 4, 4 oz. chicken breasts
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- Salt, pepper, seasonings of choice (to taste)
- 4 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 1/4 cup shredded low fat cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chunky salsa
- Place chicken, broth and seasonings of choice in slow cooker and cover;
- Cook on high for 4 hours, or low for 8 hours
- After cooking, remove chicken from slow cooker and shred using a fork
- When ready to eat, place ¼ of shredded chicken over 1 cup lettuce, top with ¼ cup warmed chunky salsa and sprinkle cheese on top.
3. Pineapple Chicken Kabobs
Makes 2 servings
There’s nothing quite like grilled pineapple in the summer. Get out the grill for this delicious meal that pumps up the flavor factor of chicken using pineapple, barbeque sauce and tasty seasonal veggies. This dish counts as 1 Vegetable, 2 PowerFuels, 1 SmartCarb and 2 Limited Extras on Nutrisystem.
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 lb. lean skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups pineapple chunks
- 1/4 cup barbeque sauce
- 6 skewers
- Add green bell pepper, onion, chicken and pineapple to skewers
- Brush vegetables with barbeque sauce
- Cook skewers on grill on medium-high heat until chicken is no longer pink in the center (about 8 minutes on each side)
4. Lightened Up Chicken Salad Wraps
Makes 1 serving
A slimmed down take on a seasonal staple, this is a delicious dish perfect for summer meals enjoyed outside. If you’re on the Nutrisystem program, count this tasty meal as 1 Vegetable, 1 SmartCarb and 2 PowerFuels.
- 2 large romaine lettuce leaves
- 1 Tbsp dried cranberries
- 2 medium celery stalks, diced
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ medium apple diced
- ½ cup red grapes, halved
- 3 oz. cooked chicken
- ½ cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl
- Serve atop lettuce leaves
5. Grilled Chicken and Summer Peach Salad
Makes 2 servings
Grilled peaches are the flavor star in this scrumptious summer salad that includes a simple, tangy dressing that counts as 1 SmartCarb, 1 PowerFuel, 1 Vegetable, and 3 Limited Extras on the Nutrisystem program.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp white balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp honey
- Pinch of salt and pepper (to taste)
- 2 medium peaches, cut in half, pits removed
- 4 oz. lean, skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 2 cups arugula
- Preheat grill on medium-high heat and lightly oil grate
- In a small bowl, whisk together oil and white balsamic vinegar. Stir in honey and add salt and pepper to taste. set aside
- Spray peaches lightly with cooking spray
- Place peaches, cut-side down, onto grill and cook until heated through (about 4 minutes) then remove
- Spray chicken breasts lightly with cooking spray
- Cook chicken on grill until no longer pink in the center (about 4 minutes per side)
- Slice chicken into thin strips and cut peaches into 1/2-inch thick pieces.
- Toss half the arugula and half the dressing together in a bowl.
- Place dressed arugula on plate, top with half peaches and half chicken.