4-Ingredient Flex Meals Under 400 CaloriesArticle posted in: Diet & Nutrition
Think eating healthy has to be complicated? Think again! Here’s one day’s worth of delicious, good-for-you meals―each requiring just four simple ingredients. Follow these recipes for a quick and delicious way to keep your grocery list short and your healthy habits going strong. And the best thing? All of these recipes make meals with fewer than 400 calories.
Breakfast: Perk-You-Up Pita Pockets
You’ll gladly get out of bed knowing this delicious morning meal featuring lots of filling protein―and flavor—awaits you. And the recipe is so easy.
2 cups fresh spinach
8 large egg whites
2 oz low fat cheddar cheese, shredded
2 whole wheat pitas
1. Spray a large skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat.
2. Add spinach and cook until wilting begins (about 1 minute).
2. Add egg whites and desired seasonings, toss and cook through (about 3-4 minutes).
3. Remove from heat, add cheese and toss mixture until cheese is melted.
4. Warm pitas if desired. Divide mixture in half and add to top―or inside―of pitas. If adding to the top, simply fold pitas in half and serve. (In a hurry? Wrap your meal in foil for a delicious breakfast on the go.)
Makes 2 servings; each serving is about 240 calories.
One serving counts as 1 Breakfast Entrée, 1 PowerFuel and 1 Vegetable on the Nutrisystem program.
Lunch: Strawberry Delight Yogurt Parfait
Featuring seasonal fresh berries, this simple midday meal is so good and so filling, you’ll forget it’s guilt-free.
1 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
1/3 cup low-fat granola
½ cup fresh strawberries, diced
½ cup fresh blueberries
1. Add layer of yogurt to bottom of bowl or mason jar.
2. Top yogurt with mixture of strawberry and blueberry.
3. Top strawberries with layer of granola cereal.
4. Repeat layering until remaining ingredients are used up.
This recipe makes 1 serving; each serving is about 355 calories.
One serving counts as 1 Lunch Entrée, 1 SmartCarb and 1 Limited Extra on the Nutrisystem program.
Dinner: Simple Stuffed Peppers
You’ll be eager for the dinner bell to ring when these tasty stuffed bell peppers are on the menu. Enjoy this hearty recipe on its own, or load it up with all your favorite veggies.
- 4 green bell peppers
- 1 lb. extra lean ground turkey
- 5 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup no salt added tomato sauce
- Optional: Seasonings
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut off stem ends of peppers and remove seeds.
- Bring 8 cups water to a boil in large pot and blanch peppers until tender (about 1 minute). Drain and cool peppers under cold water. Set aside.
- Spray nonstick skillet with cooking spray and cook turkey over medium heat until it begins to brown (about 2 minutes).
- Drain fat and transfer turkey to medium bowl. Mix in rice, half the tomato sauce, and any spices you’d like to add.
- Scoop mixture into peppers and place them in a 2-quart casserole dish. Spoon the remaining 1/2 cup tomato sauce over the peppers.
- Cover and bake until peppers are tender and filling is heated through (about 30 to 35 minutes).
Makes 4 servings; 1 serving is 245 calories.
One serving counts as 1 Dinner Entrée and 1 Vegetable on the Nutrisystem program.