As versatile as it is tasty, chicken is a year-round staple in many homes. Here are 5 simple and delicious chicken recipes to help you prepare this meal time must-have.
1. Chicken Pita Pocket
Makes 1 Serving
This super simple recipe, which includes veggies, whole grains and lean protein, makes for a tasty meal at home or on the go. On Nutrisystem, the dish counts as 1 SmartCarb, 2 Powerfuels, 1 Vegetable and 2 Extras.
- 1/2 cup chopped baby spinach
- 4 oz cooked skinless, boneless chicken
- 1/2 cup sliced red bell pepper
- 2 Tbsp low-fat Italian vinaigrette
- 1 6-inch whole-grain pita, cut in half
1. Combine spinach, chicken, bell pepper and dressing
2. Serve in pita halves
2. Simple Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken
Makes 4 servings
Thought slow cookers were only for winter stews and soups? Think again! Throw a few easy ingredients in your crockpot for a savory dish that can be enjoyed all summer long. If you’re following the Nutrisystem program, count this dish as 1 SmartCarb, 2 PowerFuels, 1 Extra and 1 Vegetable.
- 4, 4 oz. chicken breasts
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- Salt, pepper, seasonings of choice (to taste)
- 4 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup chunky salsa
- 1/4 cup shredded low fat cheddar cheese
- 1 slice whole grain bread
1. Place chicken, broth and seasonings of choice in slow cooker and cover
2. Cook on high for 4 hours, or low for 8 hours
3. After cooking, remove chicken from slow cooker and shred using a fork
4. When ready to eat, place ¼ of shredded chicken over 1 cup lettuce, top with ¼ cup warmed chunky salsa and sprinkle cheese on top.
5. Serve with slice of bread.
3. Pineapple Chicken Kabobs
Makes 2 servings
There’s nothing quite like grilled pineapple in the summer. Get out the grill for a delicious meal that pumps up the flavor factor of chicken using pineapple, barbeque sauce and tasty seasonal veggies. This dish counts as 1 SmartCarb, 2 PowerFuels, 1 Vegetable and 2 Extras on Nutrisystem.
1 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
1/2 onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
1/2 lb. lean skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 1-inch cubes
2 cups pineapple chunks
1/4 cup barbeque sauce
1. Add green bell pepper, onion, chicken and pineapple to skewers
2. Brush vegetables with barbeque sauce
3. Cook skewers on grill on medium-high heat until chicken is no longer pink in the center (about 8 minutes on each side)
4. Lightened Up Chicken Salad Wraps
Makes 1 serving
A slimmed down take on a seasonal staple, this is a delicious dish perfect for summer meals enjoyed outside. If you’re on the Nutrisystem program, count this tasty meal as 1 SmartCarb, 2 PowerFuels and 1 Vegetable.
- 2 large romaine lettuce leaves
- 1 Tbsp dried cranberries
- 2 medium celery stalks, diced
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ medium apple diced
- ½ cup red grapes, halved
- 3 oz. cooked chicken
- ½ cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl
- Serve atop lettuce leaves
5. Grilled Chicken and Summer Peach Salad
Makes 2 servings
Grilled peaches are the flavor star in this scrumptious summer salad that includes a simple, tangy dressing that counts as 1 SmartCarb, 1 PowerFuel, 1 Vegetable and 3 Extras on the Nutrisystem program.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp white balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp honey
- Pinch of salt and pepper (to taste)
- 2 medium peaches, cut in half, pits removed
- 4 oz. lean, skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 2 cups arugula
- Preheat grill on medium-high heat and lightly oil grate
- In a small bowl, whisk together oil and white balsamic vinegar. Stir in honey and add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside
- Spray peaches lightly with cooking spray
- Place peaches, cut-side down, onto grill and cook until heated through (about 4 minutes) then remove
- Spray chicken breasts lightly with cooking spray
- Cook chicken on grill until no longer pink in the center (about 4 minutes per side)
- Slice chicken into thin strips and cut peaches into 1/2-inch thick pieces.
- Toss half the arugula and half the dressing together in a bowl. Place dressed arugula on plate, top with half peaches and half chicken.
On Nutrisystem, Count As: