Air Fryer Funnel Cake RecipeRecipe posted in: Flex Meals & Snacks, Snacks, Desserts
It’s no secret that the carnival is a weight loss minefield. Around every corner is a food stand serving up greasy, sugary and salty foods that are waiting to tempt you and sabotage your slimdown success. But what if we told you that you could enjoy one of the most popular and decadent carnival treats on your Nutrisystem weight loss plan? Not only that, but you can also make it in the comfort of your own home and enjoy it all year round! Using an air fryer and a handful of pantry staples, we’ve created a sweet and crispy funnel cake recipe that goes light on the calories.
Fried funnel cake on a weight loss plan sounds like a dream. However, we’ve made it a reality with everyone’s favorite countertop appliance: the air fryer! This handy little kitchen tool can make healthier versions of your favorite foods, something Nutrisystem is extremely passionate about. That’s why we love creating new healthy air fryer recipes that you can enjoy while you drop pounds with our plan.
Instead of cooking food in tons of oil, the air fryer circulates super-hot air to make food crispy and crunchy yet low in calories. Take this air fryer funnel cake recipe for example: Other than a small amount of zero-calorie cooking spray, there is absolutely no oil added to this funnel cake recipe. Despite missing one of the key ingredients for classic funnel cake, the end result of this air fryer recipe is still a crispy and golden brown dessert that tastes just as delicious as the one at your local fair.
So, what are you waiting for? Learn how to make funnel cake in the air fryer with our easy recipe below! One serving contains just 160 calories. If you’re on Nutrisystem, you can log this sweet treat as one SmartCarb and one Extra in your NuMi app food journal.
Healthy Funnel Cake Topping Ideas
Get creative and pile your favorite toppings onto your funnel cake. If you have any daily Extras to spare for the day, you can top your dessert with some low-fat whipped cream, chocolate syrup, maple syrup or a drizzle of honey. Instead of using powdered sugar, try rolling each cake into a mixture of cinnamon and sugar for a delicious treat that tastes like a churro. Cinnamon is considered a Free Food on Nutrisystem.
Watching your sugar intake? Swap out the sugar topping with a natural zero-calorie sweetener like stevia or monk fruit extract!
Pump up the protein with a PowerFuel like chopped peanuts, almonds or walnuts. You can also borrow a SmartCarb from another meal occasion to top this delicious treat with some fresh fruit. Strawberry funnel cake is an amazing summer dessert recipe! Making this recipe in the fall? Try it with some cooked apples and cinnamon for an autumn-inspired snack.
If you loved this air fryer dessert recipe, be sure to try out these Air Fryer Apple Fritters! >
*Please note that all air fryers cook differently. Before trying any recipe, always refer to the manufacturer safety instructions provided with your specific air fryer. Make sure that the parchment paper does not touch or get close to the heating element.
Calories per Serving: 160
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 SmartCarb and 1 Extra
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 ¼ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- 1 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp. powdered sugar
- Mix ¾ cup flour with baking powder, cinnamon, yogurt and vanilla.
- Using remaining flour, roll out the dough on a floured surface. Cut into ¼-inch strips.
- Pile up the strips of dough and shape them loosely into 4 funnel cakes.
- Preheat air fryer to 375°F. Spray air fryer basket with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add the funnel cakes to the air fryer. Spray the top of each funnel cake with the cooking spray. Cook 3-4 minutes per side. You may need to cook them separately depending on the size of your air fryer.
- Dust funnel cake with powdered sugar before serving.
- *Please note that all air fryers cook differently. Before trying any recipe, always refer to the manufacturer safety instructions provided with your specific air fryer. Make sure that the parchment paper does not touch or get close to the heating element.