You’re about to kick your next party up a notch with these one-of-a-kind Chicken Fajita Stuffed Peppers. Even if a spicy soirée isn’t your usual go-to, we think you’re going to love this recipe.
Once you’ve gathered all your ingredients for these delicious (and cheesy!) Chicken Fajita Stuffed Peppers, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. While you’re standing by the oven, you’ll want to begin boiling a pot of water as well. Cut each pepper in half lengthwise (through the stem). Seed and de-vein the peppers then boil them for four to five minutes. Once tender, set them aside.
Heat one tablespoon of canola oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Toss in a half cup of diced onions and sauté for about three minutes; add garlic and sauté for 30 more seconds. Now it’s time to add the chicken, chili powder, cumin, paprika and black pepper—here’s that spicy soirée we were talking about earlier! Cook the chicken while stirring occasionally for about five minutes, and then reduce heat to medium-low to add tomatoes, black beans, corn and brown rice. Add lime juice and cilantro if you’re still looking for a little more zest.
After the chicken is finished cooking, add about a half cup of the delicious Chicken Fajita filling to each pepper half. Place the filled peppers in a baking dish and pour water into the dish until it’s an eighth inch deep. Cover the baking dish and put it in the oven for 30 minutes, until the peppers are soft. Remove cover and sprinkle two tablespoons of cheese over each pepper. Place the dish back into the oven until the cheese is melted and enjoy!
Just like that, you have a perfect meal for your family or an easy and on-plan dish to serve at parties. And if you are adding a scoop of sour cream to these delicious Chicken Fajita Stuffed Pepers, be sure to open up the NuMi app to log your meal. NuMi keeps you on track with your weight loss meal plan and goals—so get logging! Easily log all of your daily food intake right here in NuMi to stay on track >
There’s nothing like finishing off a spicy meal with sweet treat. Check out these great articles for delectable Nutrisystem desserts:
- Frozen Food Frenzy! 11 Sweet Treats to Add to Your Cart ASAP >
- The 30 Most Popular Dessert Recipes of All Time >
Want to lose weight enjoying delicious breakfasts, lunches, dinners and snacks? Nutrisystem’s got a plan that will work for you! Click here to learn more >
Servings: 4 (2 pepper halves = 1 serving)
Calories per Serving: 380
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 SmartCarb, 2 PowerFuels, 1 Vegetable and 1 Extra
- 4 bell peppers
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 12 oz. chicken, diced into ½ inch pieces
- ½ tsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. paprika
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 1-10 oz. can of tomatoes with green chilies, no salt added
- ½ cup corn
- ½ cup black beans
- ½ lime, juiced
- 2 Tbsp. chopped cilantro plus more to garnish
- 1 cup low fat Mexican cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bring large pot of water to boil. Cut peppers in half lengthwise (through the stem).
- Seed and devein peppers. Boil peppers for 4-5 minutes, just until tender. Drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté for 30 more seconds. Add chicken, chili powder, cumin, paprika and black pepper.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low, add tomatoes, black beans, corn and brown rice. Add lime juice and cilantro. Cook until heated.
- Add about ½ cup of filling to each pepper half. Place in a baking dish and pour enough water into bottom of baking dish reaches about 1/8-inch in height (careful to not pour water into peppers).
- Cover and bake 30 minutes, until peppers are soft. Remove cover and sprinkle 2 tablespoons of cheese over each pepper and bake until melted, about 3 minutes.
- Top with more cilantro, sour cream and/or guacamole if desired.