Desk Job? Long Commute? Undo Hours of Sitting with Chair PoseArticle posted in: Fitness
Sitting is the new smoking, right? Time to try the chair pose. Utkatasana, or chair pose, as most might call it, is an awesome way to get blood flowing and your muscles going after hours of being at a desk (or on the couch watching CSI). This yoga pose is really easy to master and barely takes up any space in the room, so you can do it anywhere. Chair pose is a fantastic stretch for your ankles, thighs and chest. It might even help you out if you’re a little flat-footed.
Benefits of Chair Pose:
- Works to stretch ankles, thighs and calves
- Stretches chest and shoulders
- Can relieve stress as part of regular yoga routine
- May help reduce flat feet
- Can help stimulate the heart, as well as the digestive system
- Remember to keep breathing throughout the pose, paying close attention to the steady movement of air in and out of your body.
- Talk to your doctor before performing chair pose if you are pregnant, have back pain or are recovering from an injury.
- Perform pose on a soft surface and stop at any point, if you experience pain.
*Information derived from the Yoga Journal.