Let’s be honest… Asian food is delicious, but it can be quite the calorie bomb. When you’re tempted to opt for takeout, change things up with this nutritionist-approved Asian Salmon recipe. Sub cauliflower rice for the traditional, starchy, white stuff to get all of the salty, savory flavors you want, without the dreaded post-meal sluggishness later. Because you are making this meal yourself, you can rest assured that your meal will be fresh, warm and better for your wallet. And, by all means, feel free to add in as many fresh veggies as you like (we love peppers!). Feel free to even incorporate a half of a cup of cooked, quinoa for some whole grain goodness and a more satiating flex dinner.
Cauliflower rice has gained popularity in the last few years, which is great because many grocery stores now sell this low-carb rice sub. But, if you can’t find it in your local supermarket, or you’d rather go the homemade route, you can prepare cauliflower rice in a food processor using the grater blade. Don’t have a food processor? Don’t sweat it! Check out this quick video in which Nutrisystem nutrition expert Deanna Otranto demonstrates how to make it using just a standard cheese grater.
Calories per Serving: 295
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 2 PowerFuels, 2 Vegetables, and 1 Extra
- 4 oz. salmon
- 1 ½ cups riced cauliflower
- ¼ cup bean sprouts
- 2 Tbsp. green onions, thinly sliced
- ¼ English cucumber, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp. matchstick carrots
- 1 Tbsp. Nori, thinly sliced
- ½ tsp. sesame seeds
- ½ tsp. wasabi in tube
- 1 Tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. low sodium soy sauce
- ½ tsp. sesame oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place salmon fillets (skin side down) on prepared baking sheet. Place salmon in oven and cook for approximately 12- 15 minutes, until pink. Allow to cool for a few minutes. Remove and discard the skin.
- While salmon is cooking, heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Drizzle a small amount of water into the pan and then add riced cauliflower. Sauté for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, add bean sprouts to pan and sauté for an additional 3 minutes.
- Add wasabi, rice wine vinegar, soy sauce and sesame oil to a small bowl and whisk with a fork.
- To assemble bowls, place cauliflower rice mixture in bowl.
- Top cauliflower rice with salmon, green onions, English cucumber, carrots, sesame seeds and Nori strips.
- Drizzle dressing over meal.