Cauliflower Crust BreadsticksRecipe posted in: Healthy Sides & Snacks
Cauliflower Crust Breadsticks have raised the bar exponentially.
Maybe you’ve heard of cauliflower crust pizza… and maybe you’ve even tried it. Well, this recipe takes the genius behind that lower-carb creation and turns it into the Italian starter of your dreams. Just over 200 calories and 16 grams of protein are deliciously salty, Italian-spiced and Parmesan-packed. Let the feast begin.
Just log this gem of a snack in NuMi as a PowerFuel, two Vegetable servings and one Extra, and you’re good to go… Mangia!
Calories per Serving: 204
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 PowerFuel, 2 Vegetables and 1 Extra
- 1 large head cauliflower, cut into small florets (should yield 4 cups of cauliflower rice)
- ¼ cup egg whites
- ¼ cup low-fat shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- ½ tsp. fine grain sea salt
- ½ tsp. dried Italian herb seasoning
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- ½ Tbsp. light butter spread
- 1 tsp. reduced fat grated parmesan topping
- ¼ cup fat-free marinara sauce, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and line a loaf pan with parchment paper, so that the excess paper hangs over the sides. Mist parchment paper with nonstick cooking spray and set it aside.
- Heat olive oil in a small pan over low heat. Then add minced garlic and cook until it becomes fragrant, about 1 minute. Turn the heat off and set it aside.
- Place half of cauliflower in food processor; pulsing until cauliflower is chopped into pieces about the size of large breadcrumbs. Repeat this process with the remaining cauliflower florets.
- Transfer cauliflower rice to a microwave-safe dish, then cover it and microwave it on high for 3 minutes.
- Uncover the cauliflower rice and stir. Re-cover it and then microwave it for another 3 to 4 minutes, or until it is hot and soft. Let it cool for 5 minutes.
- Place cauliflower rice in a tea towel and twist it to remove as much moisture as you can. If the cauliflower is too moist, the breadsticks will not stay together.
- Transfer cauliflower rice to a mixing bowl. Mix in egg whites, mozzarella cheese, Italian herb seasoning, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Spread cauliflower mixture in the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake until “loaf” is set and starting to turn golden, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove “loaf” from the oven and line a baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper. Use the edges of the parchment paper to lift the cauliflower “loaf” out of the pan and carefully flip it over onto the lined baking sheet, so that the bottom is now on top.
- Spread “loaf” with light butter spread and sprinkle it with the parmesan topping.
- Bake for an additional 5 to 10 minutes, until the top is golden brown.
- Let it cool for a few minutes before slicing into eight breadsticks. Serve them with marinara sauce, if desired.