Cherry Cheese DanishRecipe posted in: Breakfasts, Flex Meals & Snacks, Snacks, Snacks, Desserts
Start your day off with a danish that won’t derail your healthy eating habits. Whip up a batch of these pastries and bite into a warm Cherry Cheese Danish to start your day. Made with whole wheat flour and fresh cherries, this recipe is bound to become a breakfast go-to.
Say goodbye to sugar-filled pastries from the town bakery, and say hello to a homemade, diet-friendly Cherry Cheese Danish. Easy to make and Nutrisystem-approved, these danishes are a diet win. To whip up this recipe, simple preheat your oven and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large mixing bowl, combine whole wheat flour, stevia and baking powder. Stir in one large egg and one teaspoon of egg yolk with a teaspoon of vanilla extract. In a microwavable bowl, add mozzarella cheese and butter and thoroughly combine once heated. Add the cheese mixture to the flour and stir until a dough is formed. Spread the dough evenly on the baking sheet and roll out the mixture until its a quarter-inch thick. To make the filling, blend cream cheese and vanilla extract with a mixer and stir in cherries. Spread the filling evenly down the middle of the dough and fold sides across the filling. Brush the top of the pastry with egg yolk and bake until golden brown. Let the danishes cool and separate into eight pieces.
Each Cherry Cheese Danish clocks in at 189 calories and counts as one PowerFuel, one SmartCarb and one Extra on your Nutrisystem meal plan. While this pastry recipe is diet-friendly, you should still keep track of this, along with all of your daily intake, in the NuMi app to ensure you are hitting your weight loss goals. Not familiar with our easy-to-use food tracker app? Check out NuMi 101: A Comprehensive Guide to Our Free Tracking App >
No time to bake this week but want a delicious danish to enjoy for breakfast? Nutrisystem has a ready-to-go Cherry Cheese Roll that you can grab on the go! Stock up here >
Want to lose weight enjoying breakfasts, lunches, dinner and even snacks? Nutrisystem’s got a plan for you! Click here to learn more >
Calories per Serving: 189
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 PowerFuel, 1 SmartCarb and 1 Extra
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 4 packets of stevia
- 1 ¼ tsp. baking powder
- 1 large egg + 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup lite mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup light butter
- 1 cup sweet cherries, pitted
- 6 oz. (~3/4 cup) reduced fat cream cheese
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, stevia, and baking powder. Stir in 1 egg and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- In a microwavable bowl, add the mozzarella cheese and butter. Microwave for 30 seconds and stir to combine.
- Add cheese mixture to flour bowl. Stir until well combine and turns into a dough-like mixture.
- Spread mixture on baking sheet. Roll out to be about ¼-inch thick.
- Slice the sides of the dough about 1/3 of the way in towards the center and on each side. Set aside.
- To make the filling, blend the cream cheese and vanilla extract using a hand mixer. Gently stir in the cherries.
- Spread the filling down the middle of the dough and fold the sides across the middle.
- Beat the second egg yolk in a small bowl. Brush on top of the dough.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool for at least 10 minute.