Chicken MarsalaRecipe posted in: Flex Meals & Snacks, Lunches & Dinners, Main Courses
This savory, Chicken Marsala is one to try right now.
A savory blend of hearty baby bella mushrooms, succulent chicken and rich, deep wine is a blessing to the soul. Whole wheat penne adds the welcomed satisfaction only complex carbs can bring, while the cooking process makes everything else about this recipe super light. As one SmartCarb, two PowerFuels, a Vegetable and two Extras, this is is a 354-calorie recipe you’ll have so much more than one “thyme.”
Not sure what a SmartCarb is? Click here for all the details >
Servings: Makes 2 servings (1 piece of chicken and 1/2 cup of pasta)
Calories per Serving: 354
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 SmartCarb, 2 PowerFuels, 1 Vegetable and 2 Extras
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast cutlets (4 oz. each)
- 1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1½ cups baby bella mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- ½ cup Marsala wine
- ⅓ cup chicken broth
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- 2 tsp. corn starch
- 1 cup cooked whole wheat penne pasta
- 2 tsp. fresh parsley, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Using paper towels, pat chicken dry and sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides. Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a large sauté pan.
- Add chicken and cook 3-4 minutes or until golden brown. Flip and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes. Transfer to an oven-safe dish, cover with foil and place in at 200-degree oven to keep warm.
- Add garlic and shallots and cook until soft and golden, about 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and a pinch of salt and pepper. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until golden and most of the water from mushrooms has evaporated (about 5 minutes).
- To the mushroom mixture, add Marsala wine, chicken broth and thyme. Stir.
- Sprinkle in the cornstarch, while whisking vigorously. Bring the mixture to a low boil and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, for about 2 minutes.
- Return chicken to the sauté pan and add the whole wheat pasta. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer in the sauce to let the flavors blend (about 4 to 5 minutes).
- Serve one piece of chicken with a half of a cup of pasta. Spoon any remaining sauce and mushrooms on top. Sprinkle each dish with one tablespoon of fresh parsley before serving.