Don’t let good-spirited jokes be the only corny thing at your family’s table tonight… Corned Beef and Cabbage Soup is Irish food, lightened up.
When Irish specialties are all weighed down with the heavy stuff, finding diet-friendly spins are always welcome. This Corned Beef and Cabbage Soup uses hearty, earthy Irish ingredients like potatoes, for a flavor we love and nutrition we can support. The soft, nourishing cabbage, carrots and celery that grace your bowl are the perfect way to balance a lean corned beef brisket.
And while soup always seems to take away the cold and replace it with pure comfort, the brothy base also fills up your stomach on fewer calories. The assortment of seasonings like bay leaves, thyme and garlic make this Corned Beef and Cabbage Soup an instant favorite and it’s totally dietitian-approved, unlike the traditional family or pub fare.
Ready to try it out?
If you’re on the Nutrisystem program, Corned Beef and Cabbage Soup counts as one PowerFuel, one SmartCarb and one Vegetable, making it an awesome flex lunch or start to a flex dinner. (Click here to learn more about flex meals).
Not on Nutrisystem? Doesn’t matter. You’ll love it all the same!
Calories per Serving: 235
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 PowerFuel, 1 SmartCarb and 1 Vegetable
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 2 leeks, thinly sliced (white and light, green parts only)
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 lb. lean corned beef brisket (trim any additional visible fat)
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 sprigs of fresh thyme, leaves only
- 1 small head green cabbage, cored and chopped
- 6 small golden potatoes, cubed
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium-low heat.
- Add leeks and sauté until soft, about 4-5 minutes. Then add garlic, carrots and celery and sauté for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Add corned beef, peppercorns or seasoning packet (comes with the corned beef), bay leaves, thyme and broth; cover and bring to a boil. Simmer covered on low heat for 3 hours, until the meat becomes tender.
- Carefully remove the corned beef, set it on a cutting board and shred with two forks. Return shredded corned beef to the pot. Then, add the cabbage and potatoes, sprinkling salt and pepper as needed.
- Cook until the potatoes and cabbage are tender, about 30 more minutes.