Healthier Italian CroutonsRecipe posted in: Flex™ Meals & Snacks, Snacks, Healthy Sides & Snacks, Lunches & Dinners
We know—salads can become so monotonous when you’re on a healthy diet. It feels like you’re eating the same thing over and over again. All of those delicious fixings that can jazz up a salad are to be avoided on a diet, right? Wrong! We’ve got a homemade Italian Croutons recipe that is certain to take your salads from boring to delicious, all while remaining guilt-free.
Got a loaf of bread in your kitchen? Good—because that’s essentially the only thing you’ll need to make these mouthwatering croutons (plus some spices!). Heat up your over and be prepared to whip up these homemade crunchies in minutes. Grab your whole grain bread and cut into cubes. Season the bread cubes with delicious, Italian flavors including oregano, thyme and garlic powder. Spread the bread cubes on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes (flip halfway), until these salad toppers are a crunchy, golden brown.
The best part about your Nutrisystem meal plan is that you get to eat all of your favorite foods while losing weight, and that means putting croutons on your salad. With a few basic ingredient swaps, you can add a crunch to your veggies without all of the added calories that often accompany greasy croutons. At just 96 calories per serving, this recipe is as equally Nutrisystem-approved as it is delicious.
Counting as just one SmartCarb per serving on your Nutrisystem meal plan, these croutons (along with all of your daily intake) should be logged in your NuMi app to ensure you are staying on track with your weight loss goals. It’s easy to overdo it with delicious recipes like this one, so NuMi can help keep you in check! Easily log your Italian Croutons right here in NuMi >
Want to lose weight enjoying easy-to-make breakfasts, lunches and dinners? Nutrisystem’s got a plan for you! Click here to learn more >
Calories per Serving: 96
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 SmartCarb
- 4 ounces whole grain bread, cut into 1” cubes (2 cups cubes)
- Non-stick cooking spray, olive oil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- ¼ tsp. dried thyme
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Spread bread cubes on a nonstick baking sheet and mist with nonstick cooking spray. Toss and mist again so bread cubes are evenly coated.
- Place bread cubes into a large Ziploc bag. Sprinkle in oregano, thyme, garlic powder, sea salt and black pepper. Close bag tightly and shake gently (but thoroughly) until all cubes are coated in seasoning.
- Spread croutons on baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, flipping halfway, until croutons are browned on both sides.