Love Chicken Tetrazzini? We do, too!
And when you make some simple ingredient swaps, you can get this buttery-flavored, mushroom delight in your dish for a very reasonable 211 calories. Zucchini noodles aren’t just a calorie-saver, they’re a delicious low-carb swap coated in wine sauce and baked to perfection with Parmesan cheese. Say no to the pasta that’d push your diet over the limits for the day.
This lightened up Zucchini Chicken Tetrazzini is just half a SmartCarb, one PowerFuel, two amazing Vegetables and one Extra—don’t forget to log it in our easy-to-use NuMi App >
Confused about SmartCarbs and PowerFuels? Get more information here >
Calories per Serving: 211
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1/2 SmartCarb, 1 PowerFuel, 2 Vegetables and 1 Extra
- ½ lb. chicken breast, sliced into 1” thick strips
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- ½ tsp. sage
- ½ tsp. thyme
- 1 Tbsp. whole wheat flour
- 2 Tbsp. sherry/dry white wine
- ⅓ cup chicken broth
- ½ cup skim milk
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 4 small zucchinis
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 2 tsp. olive oil, divided
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ½ Tbsp. light butter substitute for topping
- 2 Tbsp. whole wheat bread crumbs for topping
- Preheat oven to 375º F.
- Heat one teaspoon of olive oil in a large sauté pan over high heat. Season the chicken strips with salt and pepper and cook it until lightly browned. Let cool before chopping into bite-sized pieces.
- In the same sauté pan, heat the remaining teaspoon of olive oil over medium heat and sauté mushrooms and onions until the mushrooms are soft and the onions are translucent. Add the salt, pepper, sage and thyme, and sauté for an additional minute.
- Stir in flour and cook for one minute. The mixture should be very thick at this point.
- Remove the skillet from heat and add the wine to the vegetable mixture. Return it to heat and cook for a minute. Stir in the chicken broth and skim milk. Bring it to a boil. Reduce to a simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- Use a spiralizer to create zucchini noodles.
- Once sauce reaches desired thickness, add frozen peas and stir. Remove from the heat.
- Combine zucchini noodles, with diced chicken, sauce and parmesan cheese.
- Spray an 8×8 or 7×9 glass dish with olive oil cooking spray.
- Pour into the casserole dish.
- Melt light margarine spread, combine with breadcrumbs, and then sprinkle the crumbs over your casserole.
- Bake at 375º F for 35 minutes or until the breadcrumbs begin to brown and the dish bubbles. If additional browning is desired, broil on low for 3-5 minutes.
- After removing from the oven, allow cooked casserole to sit for 5 minutes before serving.