There is a certain magic that sweeps over the world when autumn arrives. The landscape transforms into a canvas of vibrant hues, painting the world with shades of amber, ruby and gold. The air takes on a crisp coolness that carries the tantalizing scent of falling leaves and wood smoke. This is the time of year when the earth seems to slow down, offering a moment of tranquility before the rush of the holiday season.
Fall Flavors in the Culinary World
In the culinary world, fall brings a symphony of flavors that are as warm and comforting as a plush blanket on a chilly evening. Think of hearty soups bubbling on the stove, apple pies cooling on the windowsill and mugs of hot cider warming cold hands. And what better way to savor these flavors than by immersing oneself in the beauty of the season?
Long walks and hikes through the autumn landscape can be invigorating. The crunch of leaves underfoot, the rustle of wildlife preparing for winter, and the distant sound of geese flying south create a soundtrack that is truly unique to this time of year. These experiences can be made even more enjoyable with the addition of a perfect snack: a Fall Trail Mix.
An Ode to Autumn: The Fall Trail Mix
A blend of textures and flavors that mirror the diversity of the season, this trail mix is a celebration of all things autumn. Crunchy oats, pecans and almonds provide a satisfying bite, while pumpkin seeds add a hint of seasonal flavor. The mix is lightly coated with a blend of melted coconut oil, maple syrup and a generous sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice, giving it a sweet and spicy kick that is truly irresistible.
And let’s not forget about the dried fruits. Cherries, apricots and golden raisins offer a sweet contrast to the spiced nuts and seeds, adding another layer of complexity to this delightful snack.
This Fall Trail Mix is not only delicious but also easy to make at home. It requires just a few simple steps and basic ingredients, most of which you may already have in your pantry. The result is a snack that is not only tasty but also healthy and energizing, perfect for fueling those autumn walks and hikes.
So, prepare to be swept away by the flavors of fall with this delectable trail mix. It’s the perfect way to enjoy the season, one bite at a time.
Customizing Your Fall Trail Mix: A Personalized Taste of Fall
One of the best things about this Fall Trail Mix is that it’s highly customizable. You can easily tweak the recipe to suit your personal preferences or dietary needs, or even to try out new flavor combinations. Here are a few suggestions on how to make this trail mix your own:
- Experiment with Nuts and Seeds – While this recipe uses pecans, almonds and pumpkin seeds, you can try other nuts and seeds too. Walnuts, cashews, sunflower seeds or flaxseeds could all be great additions. Each type of nut and seed adds its unique flavor and texture to the mix.
- Try Other Dried Fruits – Cherries, apricots and golden raisins are just a start. Feel free to add other dried fruits like cranberries, figs, dates or even exotic ones like goji berries. Dried fruits not only add sweetness to your mix but also a variety of health benefits.
- Add Some Chocolate – For those with a sweet tooth, consider adding some dark chocolate chips or cacao nibs to your mix. They can add a lovely hint of bitterness and richness to your trail mix. Plus, dark chocolate is packed with antioxidants!
- Spice It Up – If you enjoy heat, sprinkle a dash of cayenne pepper or chili flakes to your trail mix. Just a small amount can add an exciting kick.
- Go Savory – If you prefer savory snacks, you can toss your trail mix with some rosemary, thyme, garlic powder or nutritional yeast for a savory twist.
The key to a great trail mix is balance. You want a mix of flavors and textures that will keep your taste buds interested. So, don’t be afraid to get creative and experiment with different ingredients until you find your perfect blend. Explore the Nutrisystem Grocery Guide for more add-in inspiration. Happy snacking!
Servings: 16 (1 serving = ~¼ cup)
Calories per Serving: 132
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 PowerFuel and 2 Extras
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2/3 cup pecans halves
- 1/3 cup almonds
- 2/3 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1/3 cup dried cherries
- 1/3 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Place oats, pecans, almonds and pumpkin seeds in a large bowl.
- Pour the melted coconut oil, maple syrup and pumpkin pie spice over the oat mixture. Toss to coat.
- Pour the mixture onto a rimmed baking tray and spread out into one thin, even layer.
- Bake for 15 minutes, stir and continue baking for another 15 minutes. Allow to cool completely.
- Mix with dried cherries, apricots and golden raisins. Store in an airtight container.