Brazilian Feijoada Recipe (Black Bean Stew)Recipe posted in: Flex Meals & Snacks, Lunches & Dinners, Main Courses
Pronounced (fay-ZHWA-dah), Feijoada is a traditional Brazilian stew that usually includes black beans, a blend of savory spices, and a mixture of salted, smoked and fresh meats. This delicious meal is typically served with white rice, orange slices and often, sautéed collard greens.
With a few tweaks to the traditional recipe, you can enjoy this flavorful dish as a Flex meal on Nutrisystem. Just opt for brown rice instead of white, and use chicken sausage as your meat. By swapping out the meats for leaner varieties, you can enjoy the same authentic flavors without all of the fat and calories.
Feijoada is a great way to add variety to your diet and explore different flavors. For an added boost of flavor and nutrition, top your Feijoada with diced tomatoes, diced onions and a squeeze of lime juice!
On a Nutrisystem plan? Log this recipe as one SmartCarb, one PowerFuel, one Vegetable and one Extra in your NuMi app journal.
Feeling inspired by the flavors of this classic Brazilian dish? Why not try other South American-inspired dishes like empanadas, quesadillas, and tamales? And for a touch of sweetness, try plantains or guava paste! With the right ingredients and combinations, you can create delicious meals that are healthy and satisfying. Happy cooking!
Calories per Serving: 301
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 SmartCarb, 1 PowerFuel, 1 Vegetable and 1 Extra
- ¼ cup onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 4 oz. chicken sausage, sliced ¼-inch thick
- ½ cup black beans, no salt added, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup chicken broth, low sodium
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) whole peeled tomatoes, no salt added, drained and chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ cup cooked brown rice
- 2 orange slices
- Add oil to a large saucepan and bring to medium heat.
- Sauté onion and garlic.
- Add the sausage and cook until browned.
- Add the black beans and chicken broth. Bring the liquid to a boil, reduce the heat to medium low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add in tomatoes and bay leaf and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Serve with rice and orange slices.