Feijoada (Brazilian Black Bean Stew)Recipe posted in: Flex Meals & Snacks, Lunches & Dinners, Main Courses
Pronounced (fay-ZHWA-dah), Feijoada is a traditional Brazilian stew that usually includes black beans, a blend of savory spices, and a mixture of salted, smoked and fresh meats. This delicious meal is typically served with white rice, orange slices and often, sautéed collard greens. With a few tweaks to the traditional recipe, you can enjoy this flavorful dish as a Flex™ lunch. Just opt for brown rice instead of white, and use chicken sausage as your meat.
Calories per Serving: 300.5
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 SmartCarb, 1 PowerFuel, 1 Vegetable and 1 Extra
- ¼ cup onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 4 oz. chicken sausage, sliced ¼-inch thick
- ½ cup black beans, no salt added, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup chicken broth, low sodium
- 1, 14.5 oz can whole peeled tomatoes, no salt added, drained and chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ cup cooked brown rice
- 2 orange slices
- Add oil to a large saucepan and bring to medium heat.
- Sauté onion and garlic.
- Add the sausage and cook until browned.
- Add the black beans and chicken broth. Bring the liquid to a boil, reduce the heat to medium low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add in tomatoes and bay leaf and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Serve with rice and orange slices.