Let’s just say baking is the new fried with the “Fried” Chicken and Waffles, as this delicious breakfast dish is enough to inspire a wildly different perspective on “dieting.”
Extreme, you think? Not in the least! This recipe is a whole new way to enjoy a comforting Southern classic without the guilt. The secret lies in the Nutrisystem Buttermilk Waffles. Just 160 calories, with five grams of protein, these golden, whole wheat rounds serve as the perfect solid base to pieces of chicken breast crispified with a wholesome blend of whole wheat breadcrumbs, whole wheat flour and corn flakes. Not only is it healthier than the drive-thru versions, but because it’s made fresh in your oven, it’s so much tastier. Just a touch of salt and pepper are the only seasonings needed, while sweet, sugar-free maple syrup takes the meal to another level of amazing.
Servings: 2 (1 serving = 1 waffle, 1 piece of chicken and 1 Tbsp. sugar-free maple syrup)
Calories per Serving: 302
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 SmartCarbs, 2 PowerFuels and 1 Extra
- 2 4-oz. pieces of chicken breast
- ¼ cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- ¼ cup corn flakes, crushed
- 3 Tbsp. nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp. egg white
- 1 Tbsp. whole wheat flour
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 Nutrisystem Buttermilk Waffles
- 2 Tbsp. sugar-free maple syrup, divided
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place a wire cooling rack on top and mist with nonstick cooking spray.
- Prepare three small bowls—one with whole wheat bread crumbs and corn flakes, one with Greek yogurt and egg whites and one with whole wheat flour, salt and pepper.
- Dip the chicken in the whole wheat flour mixture until lightly coated. Shake off any excess flour before dipping chicken into the yogurt mixture. Make sure chicken is fully coated in yogurt mixture and then dip it into the corn flake mixture.
- Place the fully coated chicken on top of the wire cooling rack and lightly mist it with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bake chicken for 18 to 20 minutes or until internal temperature is 160°F and juices run clear.
- Toast waffles until golden brown. Place chicken on the waffle and drizzle it with maple syrup.