Savor the flavors of an Asian delight with this General Tso Tofu!
No more struggling to please the whole house because this recipe is a fantastic find that meat lovers and vegetarians both adore. Protein-rich cubes of tofu are heavily marinated (the longer the better) and then carefully baked for soft, succulent perfection. Rice and broccoli are healthy, hearty bases for this meal that the tofu and thick, taste-bud-blasting sauce revolutionize. Your diet just got miles better.
General Tso Tofu brings one serving of a SmartCarb, PowerFuel and Vegetable to the table to set the base for your next flex lunch. Make it dinner with a half of a cup of cooked, deshelled edamame!
Servings: Makes 6 servings
Calories per Serving: 236
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 SmartCarb, 1 PowerFuel and 1 Vegetable
- 1 package extra-firm tofu, drained and pressed
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 3 Tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp, fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. fresh ginger, grated
- 2 Tbsp. low sodium soy sauce
- ½ cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste (no added sugar)
- 2 tsp. hoisin sauce
- 1 tsp. cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp. cold water
- 2 large heads of broccoli, cut into florets
- Kosher or sea salt
- 1½ cups cooked brown rice
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 Tbsp. toasted sesame seeds
- Cut the tofu into cubes. In a shallow bowl, combine the cornstarch, soy sauce and ginger. Whisk until smooth. Add the tofu and toss to coat. Let the tofu marinate for at least half an hour, the longer the better.
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- Place tofu in a single layer on prepared baking sheet; bake for 20 to 25 minutes, flipping occasionally. Tofu should be crispy on the outside when done.
- While tofu is baking, heat sesame oil, garlic and ginger for sauce in a large skillet over medium heat; cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add soy sauce, broth, vinegar, tomato paste and hoisin sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Dissolve remaining cornstarch in cold water; add to soy sauce mixture. Gently boil, stirring frequently, for another 3 to 4 minutes, or until sauce begins to thicken.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the broccoli florets and a pinch of salt to the steamer basket. Cover and steam until the broccoli is tender and bright green, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add cooked tofu to sauce, coating thoroughly.
- Serve tofu over ½ cup brown rice with 1 cup of steamed broccoli. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and green onions before serving.