Who knew healthy could also be hearty? Serve these delicious stuffed peppers at your next gathering, or savor them solo. Either way, your taste buds—and your waist line—will thank you!
Each pepper counts as one SmartCarb, one PowerFuel, two Vegetables and one Extra, making this a perfect flex lunch for men or women. Women can enjoy one pepper; men can eat both.
Are you drooling yet? Watch this quick video tutorial on how to prepare these delicious Meat Lover’s Loaded Pepper:
Servings: Makes 2 peppers; women can enjoy 1 as a flex lunch, men can enjoy both peppers as a flex lunch.
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 pepper counts as 1 SmartCarb, 1 PowerFuel, 2 Vegetables and 1 Extra
- 2 bell peppers (green, red, orange or yellow)
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 5 oz. lean ground turkey breast, uncooked
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup low-sodium tomato sauce
- Salt and pepper for seasoning, as needed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut thin slice from stem end of bell pepper to remove top of pepper. Remove seeds and membranes; rinse pepper.
- If necessary, cut thin slice from bottom of pepper so they stand up straight.
- In pot, add enough water to cover pepper. Heat the water until it boils, then add the pepper. Boil about 2-3 minutes; drain and set pepper aside.
- In medium skillet, heat olive oil over medium low heat. Add chopped onion and garlic. Sauté until lightly golden (about 3-4 minutes), then add ground turkey breast.
- Cover skillet and cook turkey until no longer pink, approx. 5-6 minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes, spinach and tomato sauce and cook for another minute until warm.
- Season with salt and pepper as needed. Add rice to meat mixture.
- Spray baking dish and stuff pepper with rice and meat mixture. Bake 10 minutes or until golden brown on top.