These Mediterranean Muffins are bursting with flavor that will melt on your taste buds with the combination of savory seasonings and fresh vegetables baked into each warm and fluffy bite. One look at the ingredients will make your mouth water.
Count one serving of these muffins as one SmartCarb and one Extra on your NuMi App log.
Servings: 3 (2 muffins = 1 serving)
Calories per Serving: 127
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 PowerFuel, 1 SmartCarb and 2 Extras
- ½ cup red onion, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. sundried tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 cup baby spinach, chopped
- ¾ cups whole wheat flour pastry flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground pepper
- 1 tsp. dried Italian seasoning
- 1 egg
- ½ cup skim milk
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup reduced-fat crumbled feta cheese
- Handful of fresh basil, chopped
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line 6 cups of a muffin tin with paper liners and set aside.
- Sauté red onion and sundried tomatoes in a nonstick skillet over medium heat until onions are soft and translucent. Add spinach and cook until wilted. Set pan aside to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, pepper and Italian seasoning.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together egg, skim milk and olive oil.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and add in the cooled vegetables. Mix until combined; then fold in feta cheese and basil.
- Divide the batter evenly between the 6 muffin cups.
- Bake muffins for 35-40 minutes or until the muffins are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean.