Homemade Basil Pesto SauceRecipe posted in: Flex Meals & Snacks, Lunches & Dinners, Main Courses, Sides
Pesto is a great alternative to cream-based pasta sauces, since it’s full of heart-healthy fats plus protein, iron, vitamins A and C and, if it’s basil-based, free-radical fighting flavonoids.
But, depending on how it’s prepared, pesto can come at a pretty high calorie cost. What makes this pesto different from the rest? It still boasts all the nutritional benefits that traditional pesto dishes out without overdoing it on fat and calories.
Tasty Tip: Prepare zucchini noodles using a spiralizer or vegetable peeler, then top them with this delicious sauce! You can even add some grilled chicken for more protein. Yum!
Calories per Serving: 205
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 PowerFuel and 2 Extras
- 1/4 cup grated low-fat Parmesan cheese
- 1.5-2 cups fresh basil
- 2 cloves fresh garlic
- 1/3 cup chicken stock or vegetable broth
- 1/8 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- Sprinkle of salt, to taste
- Remove stems from basil.
- Peel and mince garlic.
- Add all ingredients except chicken stock to blender. Blend to achieve a puree.
- While continuing to blend, pour chicken stock through blender spout—until thoroughly combined