Pão de Queijo (Brazilian Cheese Puffs)Recipe posted in: Flex Meals & Snacks, Snacks, Appetizers, Sides, Snacks
A staple in Brazil, Pão de Queijo is a deliciously cheesy bread that isn’t exactly conducive to weight loss. That’s why we’ve tweaked the traditional recipe. Our take on this Brazilian staple is light and airy, with tons of flavor but none of the guilt. So go ahead and enjoy these cheesy puffs without worrying about sabotaging your slim-down diet plan.
One serving of these delicious puffs count as one SmartCarb, one PowerFuel and one Extra on the Nutrisystem program. Log this recipe in the NuMi app! >
Enjoy these cheesy treats as a snack, or pair them with a big, hearty salad for a Flex Lunch you’ll love.
Servings: 3 (1 serving = 3 puffs)
Calories per Serving: 217.5
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 serving counts as 1 SmartCarb, 1 PowerFuel and 1 Extra
- 3/4 cup tapioca flour
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ Tbsp. dried parsley
- Dash cayenne pepper
- ½ cup non-fat milk
- 1 Tbsp. light butter substitute (Benecol, Smart Balance, margarine)
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese, low sodium
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Mix together tapioca flour, whole wheat flour, parsley and cayenne pepper.
- Heat milk and butter together to just before boiling.
- Slowly pour the milk and butter mixture into tapioca mixture and stir constantly until mixed.
- Let the batter cool.
- Add egg and knead until smooth.
- Add cheese and knead until smooth.
- Form balls (about 10 balls) and place on parchment paper-lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.