Thinly sliced pieces of steak covered in melted cheese with mushrooms, peppers and onions in between a soft roll: This Philly Cheese Steak recipe gives you the iconic sandwich from the City of Brotherly Love without the calories and all the flavor.
Count one serving as two PowerFuels, one SmartCarb and one Vegetable in your NuMi App. This delicious dish makes a perfect Flex Meal Dinner.
Click on the link below to explore some more delicious sandwich recipes you can make right at home!
Servings: 4 (½ sandwich)
Calories per Serving: 292
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 2 PowerFuels, 1 SmartCarb, 1 Vegetable
- 1 Tbsp. water
- ½ large Vidalia onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 8 oz. flank steak, visible fat removed, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp. whole wheat flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground pepper
- 2 slices reduced fat provolone cheese
- 2 6” sub rolls, sliced in half and toasted
- Heat water in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Sauté the onion and mushrooms for several minutes until vegetables are browned and most of the water has evaporated. Add bell peppers and garlic powder to pan and continue to cook until softened, about 7 minutes. Remove from heat, add Worcestershire sauce, stir and keep warm.
- In a second skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. While pan is heating, combine steak, flour, salt and pepper in a bowl and toss until steak is lightly coated. Then, add the steak to the skillet and cook, stirring, until just cooked through, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Put 1 slice of cheese on each roll and broil until the cheese is melted and the roll is lightly toasted. Top each roll with ½ of the meat and ½ of the vegetables. Slice each sandwich in half and serve.