Spicy Cajun Ham & Carrot Sweet Potato MashRecipe posted in: Flex™ Meals & Snacks, Lunches & Dinners
We’ve got a meal you’re going to want to prepare for any large get-togethers that may be in your future plans. Not only is this meal absolutely delicious, it also makes 16 servings of ham and eight servings of sweet potato mash. That’s right—this Spicy Cajun Ham and Carrot Sweet Potato Mash will become your get-together go-to when it comes to feeding a large table of people!
Spicy Cajun Ham is created using a combination of all of the right flavors—including thyme, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne, cinnamon and brown sugar. These delicious ingredients are used to create a spicy and sweet rub that envelopes the juicy, boneless ham in flavorful perfection. Baked for 60 minutes, this Spicy Cajun Ham is a simple yet delicious dish sure to become a staple on your regular menu.
The Carrot Sweet Potato Mash combines an array of ingredients to get a consistency so smooth, you may never go back to regular mashed potatoes again. Minced garlic, shallots, sweet potatoes, carrots, paprika and chicken stock ensure this Sweet Potato Mash is locked and loaded with bursts of flavor to create the perfect side dish. Simply saute the ingredients until they’re fully cooked and mash the mixture together.
This mouthwatering meal clocks in at just 293 calories per serving and counts as two PowerFuels, one SmartCarb, one Extra and half of a Vegetable on your Nutrisystem meal plan. Just be sure to log this Spicy Cajun Ham and Carrot Sweet Potato Mash in your Numi app to ensure you are staying on track with your weight loss goals. You can easily log your meals right here in the NuMi app >
Want to lose weight enjoying bread, pasta, pizza and even ice cream? Nutrisystem’s got a plan for you! Click here to learn more >
Servings: 16 ham servings and 8 potato mash servings
Calories per Serving: 293
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 2 PowerFuels, 1 SmartCarb, 1 Extra and 1/2 Vegetable
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- ½ tablespoon garlic powder
- ½ tablespoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground cayenne (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 4-pound boneless ham, cooked
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1-pound sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1-pound carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 cups low sodium chicken stock
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. For rub, in a small bowl combine thyme, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, cinnamon, salt, black pepper and brown sugar. Sprinkle spice mixture evenly over ham; rub in with your fingers.
- Place ham on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Pour about ½ cup of water in the bottom of the pan; use enough to cover the bottom. Cover with foil; bake for 60 minutes.
- Remove foil. Increase temperature to 425 degrees F. Bake for an additional 15 to 30 minutes or until thermometer registers 140 degrees F. Baste with the juices every 10 minutes.
- While ham is baking, heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet or pot. Add garlic and shallot and sauté for 3 to 5 minutes until lightly brown and fragrant.
- Add sweet potatoes, carrots, smoked paprika and chicken stock. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, until fork tender for about 12 to 15 minutes. Drain and reserve excess stock.
- Mash the mixture using a hand masher or puree in a food processor until smooth, adding reserved stock if needed. Season with salt, pepper and additional smoked paprika if desired.