Did someone say quinoa? Give this superfood a shot in a nutrition-packed Spinach and Mushroom Quinoa Breakfast Bake.
Entirely unique from any baked breakfast dish you’ve had in the past, this recipe is as healthy and savory as they come. Quinoa is a protein-laden complex carb that’ll give you steady energy to take on the rest of your day and here, it’s perfectly complemented by sautéed, garden-fresh vegetables. Meanwhile, cottage cheese is the perfect substitute for heavier, calorie-bombs used in traditional breakfast bakes.
You can log this recipe as one PowerFuel, one SmartCarb and one Vegetable in your NuMi app.
Half a SmartCarb and one Vegetable… that’s all it is, and yet, it is so much more. Not sure what a SmartCarb even is? Learn more, here.
Calories per Serving: 186
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 PowerFuel, 1 SmartCarb and 1 Vegetable
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 2 cups water
- 1 small onion, small dice
- 1 cup mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- ¼ cup sun dried tomatoes, small dice
- 1 cup fat-free cottage cheese
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 2 tsp. thyme, dried
- 1 tsp. rosemary, dried
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1½ cups egg whites
- Sea salt (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Lightly coat 9×12 baking dish with spray and set it aside.
- Place the quinoa in a fine-mesh strainer and rinse thoroughly with cold water for about 2 minutes.
- Add quinoa to a saucepan with 2 cups of water. Bring to a rolling boil.
- Reduce heat to a low simmer and cook, covered, for 15 minutes. Set it aside to cool.
- Heat a non-stick sauté pan over medium heat. Add in mushrooms and onions. Sauté for 7-8 minutes, or until most of the water has evaporated from the mushrooms and the onions are translucent.
- Add baby spinach and garlic. Continue to sauté for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Combine cooled quinoa, vegetable mixture, sundried tomatoes, cottage cheese, crushed red pepper, thyme, rosemary and ground black pepper in a large bowl. Mix well, and then add egg whites.
- Spread quinoa mixture into prepared baking dish. Bake for 45-55 minutes or until the top is golden brown.