Spinach Stuffed Mussels & ShrimpRecipe posted in: Flex Meals & Snacks, Lunches & Dinners, Main Courses
If you like mussels, you’re in for a treat! Spinach Stuffed Mussels and Shrimp are a mouthwatering combination fit for any seafood-lover’s plate. Thick, rich tomato sauce creates a warm bath for these sea-hailing proteins, filled to the brim with Parmesan cheese and garlicky, parsley-seasoned spinach. Add pasta: Even better! You’ll get two servings out of this lovely meal, which makes it an ideal date night recipe for those bored with the same old dinner routine. And, counting as two PowerFuels, you might be stuffing those arm muscles at the same time. Talk about palate-pleasing perfection!
If you are on Nutrisystem, make sure to log one SmartCarb, one Vegetable and one Extra in addition to your two PowerFuels.
Calories per Serving: 369
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 SmartCarb, 2 PowerFuels, 1 Vegetable and 1 Extra
- 4 oz. mussel meat (about 1 lb. with the shell)
- 5 oz. raw shrimp peeled
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1 tsp. garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. fresh parsley, chopped
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup whole wheat spaghetti, cooked
- 2 tsp. onion, chopped
- 1 tsp. garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 cup canned diced tomato with juice, no salt added
- 2 tsp. tomato paste
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- ½ tsp. thyme
- ½ tsp. oregano
- ¾ cup reserve mussel water
- For the mussels: Add a cup of water to a large pot. Bring it to boil and then add the mussels. Cover them and steam them until they begin to open. Reserve three-quarters of a cup of liquid. Remove one-fourth of the mussels from the shell and chop them up.
- For the stuffing: Spray a large pan with nonstick cooking spray. Over medium heat, add the spinach to pan and sauté it until it becomes wilted. Add chopped mussels, a teaspoon of garlic, a teaspoon of parsley and sauté it all for 5 minutes. Add the cheese and egg, stirring it until it is all mixed together. Stuff the spinach mixture to the shelled mussels. Set it aside.
- For the sauce: In a large pan, add the onion, garlic and olive oil. Sauté this on medium heat for 5 minutes or until it becomes soft. Add the diced tomatoes, reserved mussel water, tomato paste and seasoning. Cook for 15 minutes on medium-low heat.
- Add shrimp and stuffed mussels to the sauce. Cover them and simmer on low heat for half an hour. Serve with pasta.