Veggie and Rice Stuffed PeppersRecipe posted in: Flex™ Meals & Snacks, Healthy Sides & Snacks, Lunches & Dinners
These delicious Veggie and Rice Stuffed Peppers are super simple to make—plus, they’re surprisingly filling, making them a great guilt-free meal-time staple. The best part? This hearty dish fits perfectly into the Nutrisystem program as flex lunch for the women with one SmartCarb, one PowerFuel and two Vegetables. Men can top these peppers with some extra cheese or pair them with some their faijta-spiced lean meat of choice!
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 SmartCarb, 1 PowerFuel and about 2 Vegetables
- 2 medium red bell peppers
- ½ cup diced white onion
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1/2 cup low-sodium tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup cooked (or canned) low-sodium black beans
- 1/2 cup cooked brown rice or quinoa
- Salt and pepper for seasoning, as needed
- ½ cup shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
- Parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut thin slice from stem end of red bell peppers to remove top of pepper. Remove seeds and membranes; rinse peppers.
- In medium pot, add enough water to cover red bell peppers. Heat the water until it boils, then add the peppers. Boil about 2-3 minutes; drain and set pepper aside.
- Spray a small skillet with zero-calorie cooking spray. Add onion, garlic, celery and green bell pepper. Saute for 3-5 minutes.
- Pour tomato sauce into skillet and cook until warm.
- In a medium sized-bowl, mix black beans, rice or quinoa and tomato sauce mixture. Season as desired.
- Add half of mixture to one bell pepper and the remaining mixture to the other bell pepper.
- Spray baking dish with cooking spray then add both peppers.
- Top each pepper with 1/4 cup cheese
- Bake peppers for about 15 minutes or until heated through.
- Garnish with fresh parsley.