Mexican Zucchini BoatsRecipe posted in: Flex Meals & Snacks, Lunches & Dinners, Main Courses
Mexican food: It’s absolutely delicious and often avoided by dieters. But if you make a few simple ingredient swaps, including using zucchini boats as the base of your Mexican-inspired dish, you can still enjoy Taco Tuesday in your household and keep the family happy.
Say hello to Mexican Zucchini Boats—they include all of the classic toppings for tacos with far fewer calories and carbs. Grab two large zucchinis and cut them in half lengthwise. Cut a very thin slice off the bottoms of each “boat” so they sit flat on your foil-lined nine-by-thirteen inch baking dish. Saute bell peppers and jalapeno peppers with olive oil and garlic. Throw in some kale, salsa, black beans and taco seasoning. Divide the sauteed mixture evenly across all four of the zucchini boats, sprinkle with cheese and bake for about 25 minutes.
Pro Tip: Want to add some ground meat? Saute it with your veggies until brown, but be sure to count each two-ounce serving as one PowerFuel.
Each zucchini boat clocks in at a mere 175 calories and counts as one SmartCarb, one PowerFuel and one Vegetable on your Nutrisystem meal plan. This hearty recipe makes a full four servings, so it’s a perfect option for the whole family. And trust us, after one bite, they’re going to want these Mexican Zucchini Boats to make a regular appearance on the weekly menu!
Are you using our easy-to-use food tracker app, NuMi? If not, you should be! Be sure to log each serving of these Mexican Zucchini Boats in the NuMi app to stay on track toward your weight loss goals. Consistently logging your daily food intake can increase your weight loss results—so get logging!
Want to lose weight enjoying delicious breakfasts, lunches, dinners and snacks? Nutrisystem’s got a plan that will work for you! Click here to learn more >
Servings: Makes 4 servings (1 serving = half of a zucchini boat)
Calories per Serving: 175
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 SmartCarb, 1 PowerFuel and 1 Vegetable
- 2 large zucchini
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup chopped kale
- ½ cup salsa
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 Tbsp. taco seasoning
- ¼ cup shredded reduced fat Mexican blend cheese
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with aluminum foil. Set aside.
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise. Cut a thin slice off the bottoms so each half sits flat. Scoop out the pulp, leaving a ¼-inch shell. Discard the inner pulp. Sprinkle each half with salt and pepper.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic, bell pepper and jalapeno pepper and cook for 2-4 minutes or until soft.
- Add kale, salsa, black beans and taco seasoning. Continue cooking for an additional 2-3 minutes or until kale has wilted.
- Divide bean and vegetable mixture evenly into zucchini halves. Sprinkle each half with 1 Tbsp. cheese.
- Cover baking dish with aluminum foil and bake for 25 minutes. Uncover and continue baking for 5 minutes until cheese is bubbling. Sprinkle with fresh cilantro before serving.