What are Extras and Free Foods on the Nutrisystem program?
What are Extras?
Adding flavor to your food can pile on calories without you even realizing it. To help you become more aware of this, Nutrisystem categorizes such foods as Extras. You can use these optional add-ins to make your meals more sweet, savory, spicy or satisfying. If your program includes the separate low-calorie first week, you will wait until week two before adding in Extras.
You are allotted three Extras per day. One Extra is 10-35 calories per serving. Please make sure to compare food labels and choose the healthiest option as many Extras that are commonly used may be high in sodium.
Examples of common Extras:
- Avocado, pureed, 1 Tbsp.
- Balsamic vinegar, 1 Tbsp.
- Chocolate Syrup, 2 tsp.
- Coffee Creamer, fat-free, 1 Tbsp.
- Cream Cheese, reduced-fat or fat-free, 1 Tbsp.
- Honey, 1 tsp.
- Ketchup, 1 Tbsp.
- Maple Syrup, 1 tsp.
- Mayonnaise, 1 tsp.
- Oil (e.g. Canola, Olive, Peanut, Sunflower), 1 tsp.
- Olives, Black or Green, 6–7 small
- Pickles, 1 dill
- Popcorn, 1 cup
- Pumpkin Seeds, 1 tsp.
- Salad Dressing, light or reduced-fat, 1 tsp.
- Sesame Seeds, 1 tsp.
- Sunflower Seeds, 1 tsp.
- Tomato Paste, 1 Tbsp.
What are Free Foods?
Just because you’re eating to lose weight, that doesn’t mean you have to compromise on flavor. Many ingredients that crank up the satisfaction in your meals are considered Free Foods on your Nutrisystem plan, so you can enjoy as much of them as your taste buds desire. Free Foods contain less calories than Extras but still provide major flavor. They include things like spices, herbs, lemon juice, hot sauce, low-sodium broth, and certain condiments and beverages.
Extras are foods that contain less than 10 calories per serving. Because these foods are so low in calories, they are unlimited on Nutrisystem. You can even enjoy them in your first week!
Examples of common Free Foods:
- Broth, chicken, beef, vegetable, low sodium
- Coffee, black
- Cooking Spray
- Hot Sauce
- Lemon Juice
- Lime Juice
- Green Chilies
- Green Onions or Scallions
- Gum, sugar-free
- Peppers, hot, jalapeño
- Spices and Herbs, such as Mustard, Oregano, Paprika, Parsley, Red Pepper Flakes, Cumin, etc.
- Soy Sauce, low sodium
- Sweeteners, natural, calorie-free
- Tea, unsweetened
- Vinegar, such as apple cider vinegar, red wine vinegar, and white wine vinegar