Easy Weeknight Meal: 1-Pan Rice, Chicken and VegetablesRecipe posted in:
Give boring old chicken and vegetables recipes the boot and opt instead for this delicious meal that’s so easy to make, you’ll be tempted to recreate it every weeknight for dinner.
Featuring tender, bite-sized pieces of chicken breast mixed with fiber-filled brown rice, plus onions, garlic, kale and low-fat cheese, this dish checks all the boxes―it’s tasty, it’s easy to make, and it’s completely guilt-free. Really, it’s the perfect well-rounded dish. It’s got lean protein, thanks to the chicken breast and low-fat cheese, complex carbs from the brown rice, healthy fats thanks to the olive oil, and tons of fiber and body-boosting nutrients from the kale, onions and garlic.
To make it, all you have to do is saute the onions and garlic, then add the chicken broth, the rice, chicken and spices and let it simmer until the rice is cooked. Once the rice is done, you’ll stir in the kale and top it all off with some flavorful cheese. That’s it! The only way this dish could be easier to make is if you cooked the rice ahead of time.
Either way, you’ll definitely love this dish. And, considering it makes four hearty servings, you don’t have to enjoy it alone!
Just be sure to log this easy weeknight meal in NuMi, our free tracking app. NuMi will help keep you on track toward your weight loss goals. With NuMi, you can log your food, water, weight and activity. Plus, when you download our weight loss app, you’ll have access to hundreds of healthy, plan-friendly recipes, weight loss tips from our experts, and even exclusive discounts and special offers on all your favorite Nutrisystem foods. Now that’s what we call a weight loss win-win!
Servings: Makes 4 servings
Calories per Serving: 282
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 SmartCarb, 1 PowerFuel, 1 Vegetable and 2 Extras
- 12 oz. boneless chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ sweet onion, diced
- 2/3 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 ½ cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- Black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups kale
- ¼ cup shredded low-fat cheese
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Add onions and cook for five to eight minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté for a few minutes.
- Pour in the chicken broth and bring to boil over high heat. Stir in the rice, chicken, rhyme, rosemary and black pepper. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 50-55 minutes or until the rice is cooked. Add extra broth if the liquid has been completely absorbed and rice still feels a little hard.
- Remove from heat and stir in the kale. Top with cheese.