Croutons don’t have to be avoided on a healthy diet if you make them the Nutrisystem way. That’s right—we’ve got a recipe for homemade Chili Garlic croutons that is bursting with flavor, made with whole grain bread and absolutely delicious.
Liven up your mundane salad creations with these crunchy, golden croutons. With a spicy kick from chili garlic sauce, these oven-baked salad toppers are the ultimate addition to any bed of greens. The best part about these Chili Garlic Croutons? They’re SO simple to make! You need just six ingredients and about 20 minutes of your time before you can throw these golden crunchies on top of your favorite salad creation.
Cut whole grain bread into one-inch cubes and spread across a nonstick baking sheet. Mist with nonstick cooking spray and place all cubes into a large Ziploc bag to coat with the chili garlic sauce, garlic powder, red chili flakes and sea salt. Make sure all croutons are evenly coated. Place back on the baking sheet and pop in the oven for just 20 minutes. For ultimate crunchiness, flip the croutons about 10 minutes into baking so each side is evenly crisp.
This recipe makes three servings, so grab them from the oven and whip up three salads to top with these croutons for you and your family, or simply store them in an airtight container to pack for lunches throughout the week. Each serving counts as one SmartCarb on your Nutrisystem meal plan and clocks in at just 97 calories. Be sure to log your Chili Garlic Croutons in your NuMi app to ensure you are staying on track with your weight loss goals. Easily log your croutons and all of your daily intake right here in the NuMi app >
Want to lose weight enjoying easy-to-make breakfasts, lunches and dinners? Nutrisystem’s got a plan for you! Click here to learn more >
Calories per Serving: 97
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 SmartCarb
- 4 ounces whole grain bread, cut into 1” cubes (about 2 cups of cubes)
- Non-stick cooking spray or olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. chili garlic sauce
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. red chili flakes
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Spread bread cubes on a nonstick baking sheet and mist with nonstick cooking spray. Toss and mist again, so that bread cubes are evenly coated.
- Place bread cubes into a large Ziploc bag. Add chili garlic sauce, garlic powder, red chili flakes and sea salt. Close bag tightly, shake gently until all cubes are thoroughly coated in seasoning.
- Spread croutons on baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, flipping halfway, until croutons are browned on both sides.
- Cool thoroughly and store in an air tight container if not consuming immediately.