Not sure what the word “escalloped” means? Basically it just means that a dish has been baked in a sauce or liquid and topped with crumbs.
And although this dish may sound and taste fancy, it’s really quite simple to make. You’ll saute tender boneless chicken breast along with a variety of vibrant veggies, including celery, carrots and mushrooms, then stir in a simple sauce of flour, milk, garlic powder and black pepper. Then you’ll pour your mixture into an ovenproof dish, sprinkle it with breadcrumbs and black pepper, then pop it into the broiler for a few quick minutes. That’s it! Just a few easy steps and you’ve got yourself a delicious dish that tastes like cheating but actually fits perfectly with your Nutrisystem plan.
Our readers love making this dish when hosting dinners and parties, because it’s so delicious, guests rave about it. But, at 271 calories a serving, it’s completely diet-friendly. Whip up a big salad to pair with your Escalloped Chicken and Rice, and you’ve got a healthy and hearty meal you don’t have to regret enjoying.
Just be sure to log your delicious Escalloped Chicken and Rice in NuMi, our free online tracking app. NuMi will help you stay on track toward your weight loss goals because with this helpful tool, you can log your food, water, weight and activity. Plus, when you download NuMi, you’ll get access to hundreds of healthy, plan-friendly recipes, helpful weight loss tips from our nutrition experts and tons of special discounts on all your favorite Nutrisystem foods and products. Click here to learn more about the countless benefits of NuMi >
Love chicken and rice dishes? You’ve come to the right place! Click here to check out our Fiesta Chicken and Rice Bowl > Or click here for our Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry on Tender Brown Rice >
Servings: Makes 6 servings
Calories per Serving: 271
On Nutrisystem, Count As: Each serving counts as 1 SmartCarb, 1 PowerFuel, 1 Vegetable and 2 Extras
- 1 lb boneless chicken breast, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 cup white button mushrooms, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened almond milk
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- Black pepper
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 2 ½ cups cooked brown rice
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add olive oil. Add celery, carrots, mushrooms, and chicken to skillet. Sauté until chicken is cooked.
- Stir in flour.
- Add milk, garlic powder and black pepper. Simmer uncovered until sauce has thickened.
- Stir in rice.
- Pour chicken and rice into an ovenproof dish. Sprinkle with panko and more black pepper. Spray top with cooking spray.
- Place in preheated broiler for a few minutes until golden brown.