The combination of sweet pear and spicy ginger make this holiday treat a must-try. Filled with delicious and diet-friendly ingredients, these Pear Ginger Squares are a great addition to your holiday menu.
For a healthy dessert that won’t be accompanied by pangs of guilt, heat up the oven and grab a mixing bowl to whip up these Nutrisystem-approved Pear Ginger Squares. Simply mix together skim milk and lemon juice and set aside while you thoroughly combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and salt. In another medium bowl, whisk together Truvia Baking Blend, applesauce, eggs, vanilla extract and milk and lemon juice mixture. Gently stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients while folding in the pears and crystallized ginger. The mixture should form a batter-like consistency. Spread the batter in an eight-by-eight baking dish and sprinkle with ginger. Bake these Pear Ginger Squares for about a half hour and allow them to cool before enjoying!
This recipe yields 12 squares, and each one counts as one SmartCarb on your Nutrisystem meal plan. Clocking in at just 115 calories per serving, these Pear Ginger Squares will not only satisfy your sweet craving the healthy way, they’re also a healthy treat to share with the family. Be sure to log each serving in the NuMi app. Consistently keeping track of your food intake, with the help of NuMi, can increase weight loss results—so get logging! Learn more about our easy-to-use food tracker app here >
We have plenty of sweet treat recipes that won’t derail your healthy diet. Check out a few of our favorites below:
Want to lose weight enjoying cake, ice cream and even cookies? Nutrisystem’s got a plan for you! Click here to learn more >
Calories per Serving: 112
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 SmartCarb
- ½ cup skim milk + 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. ground ginger
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ cup stevia extract baking blend (e.g. Truvia Baking Blend)
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. freshly grated ginger
- 1 large Bosc pear, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 3 Tbsp. crystallized ginger, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line an 8 x 8 baking dish with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Mix together skim milk and lemon juice. Set aside for a few minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together Truvia Baking blend, applesauce, eggs, vanilla extract and milk + lemon juice mixture.
- Gently mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Fold in the pears and 2 Tbsp. of the crystallized ginger.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle with remaining crystallized ginger. Bake for 35 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in pan before removing from pan. Slice and serve.