Are you a fan of red velvet cake? Check. Do you love brownies? Check. We’ve combined two classic recipes for a dessert so chocolatey, it tastes like you’re cheating on your healthy diet. Made with red beets as the base, these Healthy Red Velvet Brownies are completely diet-approved and completely delicious!
To kick off this recipe, pierce holes in the red beets, wrap in foil and bake in the oven for an hour. Grab your food processor (or blender) and combine cocoa powder, oats, Truvia and baking powder until a floury mixture has formed. Add in the cooked beets, coconut oil, eggs and vanilla extract to the mixture and process until the floury consistency has become smooth. Once the mixture is fully combined, it should have a brownie batter consistency. Pour the batter into an eight-by-eight baking pan and top with chocolate chips. Bake in the oven for a mere 30 minutes and prepare yourself to bite into a warm, decadent, chocolatey treat.
This recipe makes eight brownies, and each brownie counts as one SmartCarb and one Extra on your Nutrisystem meal plan. Clocking in at just 103 calories per serving, these Red Velvet Brownies are the perfect dessert to curb your sweet craving without derailing your healthy diet. With nutritious ingredients like beets and oats, these healthy brownies are an absolute diet win.
Be sure to log each Red Velvet Brownie in the NuMi app to ensure you aren’t grabbing one too many chocolatey treats! Logging your daily food intake can increase your weight loss results. Want to learn more about our easy-to-use tracker app? Check out 12 Reasons Downloading the NuMi App Will Help You Lose Weight >
Want to lose weight enjoying cake, ice cream and even cookies? Nutrisystem’s got a plan for you! Click here to learn more >
Servings: makes 8 brownies (1 brownie counts as 1 serving)
Calories per Serving: 103
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 SmartCarb and 1 Extra
- 2 medium red beets
- ¼ cup cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 1 cup oats
- ¼ cup Truvia Cane Sugar Baking Blend
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp. chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Pierce some holes in the beets. Wrap in foil and bake for 1 hour or until cooked. Let cool for 20 minutes.
- Turn down oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a food processor, combine cocoa powder, oats, Truvia and baking powder until a floury mixture.
- Add beets, coconut oil, eggs and vanilla and process until smooth. Mixture should resemble a brownie batter consistency.
- Line 8 x 8 baking pan with parchment paper. Pour batter into pan. Top with chocolate chips.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.