Want to take your steak dinner to go? Serve up a satisfying supper in the form of a burrito bowl! Featuring tender slow cooked steak and all of your favorite burrito fillings, this hearty yet healthy meal is packed with protein and sure to keep you satisfied.
The first step to this healthy burrito bowl recipe is making a seasoning rub for the flank steak. We used a combination of chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, black pepper and cayenne pepper. However, feel free to switch up the spices with your favorite flavors! Once you’ve got your seasoning blend together, rub it on both sides of a lean flank steak.
Now that your steak is seasoned, it’s time for slow cooking! Place the flank steak into a slow cooker with a half-cup if water and some lime juice. Cook it on LOW for six hours. Shred it up when it’s finished cooking.
Using the remaining lime juice, some lime zest and chopped cilantro, whip up a quick and easy cilantro lime brown rice. It’s the perfect burrito bowl filler! Gather your other ingredients, including shredded lettuce, pico de gallo, crushed reduced sodium tortilla chips, guacamole and shredded reduced fat Mexican cheese. Divide the ingredients equally among four bowls before digging in!
Pro Tip: Divvy up the ingredients into four meal prep containers for easy lunches or dinners that you can grab and go!
One of these healthy Steak Burrito Bowls counts as one SmartCarb, two PowerFuels, two Extras and one Vegetable on the Nutrisystem weight loss plan. Keep track of this healthy Flex meal in the NuMi app to stay on track with your meal plan. NuMi makes it easy to stay organized by providing a daily food journal and a place to log your weight loss and measurements.
Looking for another healthy burrito bowl recipe? You’ll love this Buffalo Chicken Burrito Bowl! >
Nutrisystem makes meal prep easy with convenient delivery of your favorite foods! Lose weight and get healthy with perfectly portioned meals and snacks, one-on-one coaching, our free smart app and unlimited access to The Leaf Weight Loss Blog. Click here to start your weight loss journey! >
Calories per Serving: 439
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 SmartCarb, 2 PowerFuels, 2 Extras and 1 Vegetable
- 1 lb. lean flank steak
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. oregano
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 lime, juiced
- ½ cup water
- 2 cups brown rice, cooked
- 1 cup pico de gallo
- ¼ cup guacamole
- 4 cups shredded lettuce
- 6 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
- 1 cup tortilla chips, reduced sodium, crushed up
- ½ cup shredded Mexican cheese, reduced fat
- Mix together chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, black pepper and cayenne pepper.
- Rub seasoning on both sides of the flank steak.
- Place the flank steak in a slow cooker. Add ½ cup water and ½ of the lime juice. Cook on LOW for 6 hours.
- Shred flank steak when finished cooking.
- Mix the remaining lime juice, lime zest and half of the chopped cilantro with the brown rice.
- In 4 individual bowls, add about 1 cup of lettuce. Top with ½ cup of cilantro lime rice, 3 ounces of shredded steak, ¼ cup of pico de gallo, ¼ cup of crushed chips, 2 tablespoons of Mexican cheese and 1 tablespoon of guacamole.