Easy, Cheesy Veggie-Lover’s QuesadillaRecipe posted in: Flex Meals & Snacks, Lunches & Dinners, Main Courses
There’s just something about a piping hot quesadilla oozing with ooey, gooey melted cheese and jam-packed with flavorful veggies that puts you in a great mood, right?
And this version, which features caramelized onions, semi-soft goat cheese plus sauteed kale and cherry tomatoes, stuffed inside of a low calorie, whole grain wrap, is sure to put you in an even better mood. That’s because this quesadilla isn’t just unbelievably delicious and so, so satisfying; it’s also completely guilt-free. You get all kinds of body-boosting nutrients like fiber and vitamins A, C and K from the veggies, calcium and protein from the goat cheese, and healthy whole grains plus fiber and protein from the wrap. If that doesn’t put a smile on your face, we don’t know what will.
Our favorite part about this quesadilla (besides the amazing flavor), is the fact that it’s fully customizable. Don’t like kale? Swap in some spinach. Not a fan of goat cheese? Sub in some cheddar cheese instead. No matter how you play it, this quesadilla is going to make your taste buds sing and your weight loss progressing.
Counting as two PowerFuels, one SmartCarb, one Vegetable and one Extra, this delicious quesadilla makes a great Flex dinner. Guys, you’ll just want to add in one more PowerFuel (think an extra serving of cheese or even a lean protein of your choosing). Still fuzzy on flex meals? Click here for a breakdown of what should be in your flex meals depending upon your gender and the meal occasion >
Remember, non-starchy veggies are unlimited on Nutrisystem. And, you get three Extras per day. So this tasty quesadilla fits perfectly with your plan.
No matter what you decide to eat today, set yourself up for success by logging your meals and snacks in NuMi, our free tracking app. Studies have shown that those who track their food intake regularly have better success reaching their weight loss goals. Click here to learn about the various benefits of using NuMi while on Nutrisystem >
Servings: Makes 2 servings; two pieces count as one serving
Calories per Serving: 306
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 2 PowerFuels, 1 SmartCarb, 1 Vegetable and 1 Extra
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- ½ cup Vidalia or yellow onion, thinly sliced (~½ small onion)
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ tsp. sugar
- 6 cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 2 cups kale, finely chopped
- 3 oz. semisoft goat cheese
- 2 low carbohydrate wheat tortillas (~60 calories each)
- Heat the oil in a medium nonstick pan over medium heat. Add onion, sugar and salt; stir to coat. Spread the onions out evenly and cook, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat if onions begin to burn or add a teaspoon of water if they look too dry. When onions are soft and golden brown, remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add cherry tomatoes and kale to the pan and sauté until the kale is wilted and the skin of the tomatoes looks slightly crisp. Remove from the pan and set aside. Carefully wipe any residue from the pan with a paper towel and turn off the heat.
- Divide the goat cheese in half, and spread over one side of each tortilla.
- Heat the pan to medium-high. Place one tortilla in the pan (cheese side up), and sprinkle with the onions, tomatoes and kale, leaving about ½ inch of space around the edge. Top with the second tortilla.
- Cook for 3 to 4 minutes and then carefully flip and cook for an additional 2 to 3 minutes, or until the tortilla is crispy. Cut into 4 equal pieces.