Packed with veggies and flavor, this Veggie Paella is a perfect dinner for vegetarians (or anyone looking for a delicious veggie dish!). With six simple steps and a whole lot of veggies, Veggie Paella is sure to become your go-to veggie dish that even the kids will love!
Think asparagus, red pepper, tomatoes, artichoke and peas—this dish brings a variety of color with a variety of vitamins. Seasoned with garlic, olive oil, paprika, pepper, sea salt and lemon, Veggie Paella is complete with brown rice—so it’s certain to fill you up the right way. You can be sure to stay on track while indulging in Veggie Paella, as it is a perfect flex meal recipe while on your Nutrisystem meal plan. What makes this dish even better? It makes a whopping six servings, so it’s a delicious dish that is easy to make for the entire family any night of the week. This is a recipe you’ll want to keep on hand, as it will definitely become a household favorite for getting in those veggie servings.
Counting as just one SmartCarb and two Vegetables on your Nutrisystem meal plan, Veggie Paella is just 137 calories per serving. Simple to make and healthy diet approved—what more could you possibly ask for? Delicious and certainly nutritious, it is still important to log your Veggie Paella on your NuMi app. Keeping track of your daily food intake can increase your weight loss results and ensure you are staying on track. You can easily log your Veggie Paella on the NuMi app right here. >
We have plenty of recipes that are loaded with veggies and perfect for packing in nutrition on your weekly menu. Check out this spicy Spanish Cauliflower Rice! > It’s Nutrisystem-approved and absolutely delicious!
Calories per Serving: 137
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 SmartCarb and 2 Vegetables
- ¾ cup brown rice
- 1½ cups low-sodium vegetarian broth
- Pinch of saffron, about 8 threads
- ½ Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 large red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 8 asparagus spears, cut into 2” pieces
- 4 roma tomatoes, diced with juice
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tsp. paprika
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- 4 artichoke hearts, halved
- ½ cup frozen peas
- 1 lemon, cut into 6 wedges
- Bring 3 cups of water to a boil in a medium pot. Add brown rice and continue boiling, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In the pot, bring broth to a simmer. Ladle approximately ¼ cup of broth into a bowl and add saffron threads. Then, cover pot, reduce heat to low and keep at a low simmer until ready to use.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large cast iron skillet. Sauté onion until soft and translucent. Add garlic, red bell pepper and roma tomatoes and continue cooking until vegetables are soft. Stir in asparagus, tomato paste, paprika, red pepper flakes and sea salt.
- Add in parboiled rice, saffron and broth. Quickly stir to allow rice to sink to the bottom. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and cook at a low boil for 15 minutes. Do not stir!
- After 15 minutes, top paella with peas and artichoke hearts. Continue cooking for 5 to 10 more minutes or until rice is tender and liquid has evaporated. If rice appears dry or is not done, add a bit more broth or water.
- Fluff before serving. Plate and serve with lemon wedges.