4 Tasty Appetizers Without the GuiltArticle posted in: Diet & Nutrition
On the hunt for some healthy and delicious appetizers? We’ve got you covered with these four simple and tasty recipes that will make it easy to stay on track toward.
Not So Devilish Eggs
This trimmed-down take on a classic app is so delicious, your guests won’t even know it’s totally guilt-free. Bonus: Eggs are packed with protein, so this snack may help stave off snack attacks while you wait for the ball to drop.
6 hardboiled eggs
1/4 cup plain, fat-free Greek yogurt
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
Black pepper, to taste
Paprika, to taste
1. Remove yolks from hardboiled eggs, place in a small bowl, and mash.
2. Mix in remaining ingredients until well blended, reserving some paprika for topping.
3. Add a scoop of mixture back into each egg half then sprinkle with paprika and desired seasonings.
Servings: Makes 12 egg halves
Counts as: 2 halves count as 1 PowerFuel
Cauliflower Buffalo Bites
If you love buffalo sauce, this one’s for you! This veggie-centric tribute to traditional hot wings has all the flavor of your favorite appetizer, with none of the guilt.
Zero-calorie cooking spray
1 cup water
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
6 1/2 cups cauliflower florets
3/4 cup hot sauce
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to 450°F and spray a large baking sheet with zero-calorie cooking spray.
2. Combine water, flour and garlic and stir until mixed.
3. Toss cauliflower in mixture, place on baking sheet, and bake for 20 minutes.
4. Whisk together hot sauce and butter.
5. Once cauliflower has baked, pour hot sauce mixture over top and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
Servings: Makes about 6 servings
Counts as: 1 cup counts as 1 Vegetable and 2 Extras
Easy Cheesy Broccoli Balls
There’s just something about the combo of cheddar cheese and broccoli that makes your taste buds jump for joy. These super simple bite-sized snacks make the perfect app for your festivities.
4 cups of broccoli florets, finely chopped
2 cups low fat shredded cheddar cheese
3 eggs, beaten
1 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a medium bowl, combine broccoli, cheese, eggs and breadcrumbs.
3. Once well-mixed, create about 30 small balls (about the size of a golf ball) with mixture.
4. Place balls on a foil covered baking sheet.
5. Bake for about 20 minutes, turning halfway through cooking.
Servings: Makes about 30 balls
Counts as: 2 balls counts as 1 PowerFuel
Pom-Cheesy Cucumber Bites
Who knew healthy could taste so good? Featuring sweet and tangy pomegranate arils plus a touch of cheese, these tasty treats are like a flavor party in your mouth!
2 medium cucumbers, sliced
1/2 cup low-fat goat cheese
1/2 cup pomegranate arils
Oregano, to taste
1. Place cucumber slices onto serving dish and spread half a tablespoon of cheese on each slice.
2. Top with pomegranate arils and oregano.
3. Keep chilled until serving.
Counts as: 2 slices count as 1 Extra
Serving size: Makes 16 slices