This BBQ Jackfruit Sandwich dishes out the famous sweet and savory combination in the healthiest way possible. Complete with a homemade slaw, this mouthwatering sandwich creation is hosted by a toasted roll for an absolute flex meal (and vegetarian!) win.
To start, you’ll create your homemade vinegar slaw which will top your BBQ Jackfruit Sandwich. With a bag of cabbage slaw mix as the base, add in green onions and the dressing—which consists of apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, garlic power, salt, pepper and a few drops of liquid Stevia for a hint of sweetness. For your BBQ sauce, combine tomato sauce, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, tomato paste, molasses, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Bring all ingredients to a boil to form the homemade sauce then add the shredded jackfruit to the mixture after letting the sauce sit and thicken. Add your BBQ jackfruit and vinegar slaw to a toasted, whole wheat sandwich thin and enjoy!
This easy-to-make sandwich is the perfect go-to to liven up your menu the meatless way. Packed with flavor and nutritious ingredients, this sandwich’s hearty consistency is sure to fill you up the healthy way. This recipe makes a whopping eight servings, so it’s a great meal for the family on those hectic weeknights—especially when your menu needs a refresh.
On your Nutrisystem meal plan, each BBQ Jackfruit Sandwich counts as one SmartCarb, one Vegetable and two Extras. To easily stay on track with your weight loss goals, remember to log your daily intake in the NuMi app. Log your BBQ Jackfruit Sandwich right here >
Looking for another meatless menu addition? Try this delicious recipe for Lightened up Falafel with Tzatziki >
Want to lose weight enjoying easy-to-make breakfasts, lunches and dinners? Nutrisystem’s got a plan for you! Click here to learn more >
Calories per Serving: 195
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 SmartCarb, 1 Vegetable and 2 Extras
- 1 9 oz. bag cabbage slaw mix
- ½ cup green onions, thinly sliced
- 3 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. whole grain Dijon mustard
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- ½ tsp. ground pepper
- 2-3 drops stevia
- 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce, no sugar added
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp. molasses
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly-ground black pepper
- 2 20-ounce cans young green jackfruit in water OR brine, drained and rinsed
- 8 whole wheat sandwich thins
- Combine the cabbage slaw mix and green onions in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together apple cider vinegar, mustard, garlic powder, sea salt, ground pepper and stevia. Season with extra salt and pepper if needed.
- Pour the dressing mixture into the cabbage slaw and toss to combine. Place in the refrigerator.
- Combine all BBQ Jackfruit ingredients, except jackfruit and sandwich thins, in a medium saucepan. Whisk vigorously.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, whisking occasionally.
- Place jackfruit on a cutting board and cut out the core. Using two forks, shred the jackfruit into a bowl.
- After 10 minutes, add the shredded jackfruit to the BBQ sauce. Stir and continue to cook for an additional 20 minutes. The sauce should have thickened slightly.
- Serve BBQ jackfruit on toasted whole wheat sandwich thin topped with vinegar slaw.