Looking to add some pizzazz to your sometimes boring and repetitive chicken dishes? We’ve got the perfect recipe to add some creativity to your menu. This Chicken A La King recipe not only combines nutrition-packed veggies with protein-packed chicken, it also adds in ziti pasta to make this dish the real deal.
With the combination a few simple ingredients including boneless, skinless chicken breast, onion, garlic powder, pepper, red bell pepper, mushrooms, celery, pimento peppers, chicken broth and of course, pasta, this Chicken A La King contains a chock full of flavor, nutrition and color. Not only is this dish delicious, it’s the perfect flex meal while on your Nutrisystem meal plan. Filled with protein and vitamins, this Chicken A La King recipe is certain to fill you up without filling you out.
Whip up this dish in a few simple steps and voila! You have six servings to share with the family or use throughout the week when you’re on-the-go. Whenever you do decide to enjoy this absolutely delicious dish, be sure to remember to log it on your NuMi app as one SmartCarb, two PowerFuels and one Vegetable. Logging your daily food intake can increase your weight loss results. It’s important to stay on track and ensure you are not over or undereating. Easily log your Chicken A La King right here on the NuMi app. >
Want to read more about the many benefits of using the NuMi app? Check out 12 Reasons Downloading the NuMi App Will Help You Lose Weight. >
We have plenty more recipes that can liven up your menu while keeping you on track with your weight loss goals. Be sure to check out this simple recipe for Hasselback Chicken > or this delicious recipe for Tempura Shrimp and Vegetables .> Both recipes pack in the protein with chicken and shrimp and are as equally delicious as they Nutrisystem-approved.
Servings: 6 (~1 cup Chicken a la King w/ ½ cup pasta)
Calories per Serving: 239.8
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 SmartCarb, 2 PowerFuels and 1 Vegetable
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- ½ tsp. black pepper, ground
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 cups sliced white mushrooms
- 1 cup celery, diced
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- One 4 oz. jar chopped pimento peppers, drained
- 1 cup whole wheat ziti (dry), prepared according to package directions
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Spray a baking dish with nonstick cooking spray or line with parchment paper. Place chicken breasts on baking dish and sprinkle with black pepper. Bake for 10 minutes then flip. Continue baking for an additional 5 to 7 minutes or until internal temperature of chicken reaches 160° F and juices run clear. Set aside to cool. Once chicken has cooled, chop into bite-sized pieces.
- In a large nonstick skillet, melt 1 Tbsp. of butter over medium-high heat. Sauté onion, bell pepper, mushrooms and celery until onions are translucent and vegetables are soft (about 8 minutes).
- Stir in flour, salt, black pepper and garlic powder; stir constantly until well-combined.
- Remove from heat, pour milk and chicken broth into pan, and whisk until flour has dissolved. Return to heat and bring to a boil, then continue stirring for 1 minute. Reduce heat to low and add in chopped chicken and pimento peppers. Simmer for several minutes until sauce has thickened.
- While the mixture is simmering, prepare pasta according to package directions.
- Serve Chicken A La King over whole wheat pasta.