When you’re trying to lose weight, you need simple meals that can be made in bulk. Meal prep healthy dinners for the entire week with our Creamed Spinach Pierogies. These delicious dumplings are packed with flavor and filled with creamy low fat cheese and spinach.
To create these healthier pierogies, start by making the nutritious dough. We combine nonfat Greek yogurt, egg, canola oil and water with whole wheat flour to add some extra fiber and protein to your plate. Cover your finished dough and let it sit for about 30 to 60 minutes. While you’re waiting, thaw out some frozen spinach in a pan and stir in low fat cream cheese, Parmesan cheese and garlic powder for the creamy filling.
Now that your dough has rested, roll it out on a floured surface and cut out circles using a cookie cutter or cup. Add one teaspoon of the creamed spinach filling into the center of each circle. Fold the circles in half to envelope the filling, then press around the open edges with a fork to seal. You should finish up with about 40 pierogies, which you can place on a cookie sheet and freeze until you are ready to eat.
You can enjoy a serving of these Creamed Spinach Pierogies for only 233 calories. They count as one SmartCarb and three Extras on the Nutrisystem program. To help you reach your weight loss goals, make sure to log this recipe in the NuMi app! Keep track of your meals, water and measurements in its easy-to-use journal. Get started with NuMi >
Spinach is a versatile veggie that can take on any flavor profile. Try these other delicious ideas:
- Artichoke and Spinach Chicken Pasta >
- Creamy Spinach Gnocchi >
- Fall Spinach Salad with Apple Vinaigrette >
- Spinach Mushroom Cauliflower Risotto >
- Creamy Spinach Stuffed Chicken >
- Cheesy Spinach Wontons >
No time to cook? Enjoy creamy spinach wrapped in warm dough with Nutrisystem’s Spinach and Cheese Pretzel Melt!
Nutrisystem makes healthy, high protein meals that are delivered right to your door. Click here to learn more about our meal plans >
Servings: 10 (1 serving = 4 pierogies)
Calories per Serving: 233
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 SmartCarb and 3 Extras
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup water
- 1 egg
- ½ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 4 Tbsp. canola oil
- 3 cups spinach, frozen
- 1 Tbsp. cream cheese, low fat
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese, reduced fat
- To make dough, combine 2 tablespoons of canola oil with yogurt, egg and water. Pour in flour and mix well. Cover and let stand for 30-60 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add frozen spinach to a large pan and heat until no longer frozen. Stir in cream cheese, garlic powder and Parmesan cheese. Mix well and set aside.
- Roll the dough out onto a floured surface to about 1/8-inch thick.
- Cut out circles in dough using a cookie cutter or a cup.
- Add about 1 teaspoon of filling into the center of each circle.
- Fold the circles into half-circles and press to seal the edges using a fork.
- Place pierogies on a cookie sheet and freeze.
- When ready to cook, heat skillet with 1 tablespoon of canola oil and fry until they are golden on both sides. Add remaining tablespoon of canola oil as needed.