Irish Cauliflower Colcannon with KaleRecipe posted in: Sides
This traditional Colcannon with Kale recipe blends tradition with a modern day superfood for a classic Irish recipe you’ll never forget!
Irish Cauliflower Colcannon with Kale is a healthy dinner side dish that seems like complete indulgence with a thick, creamy base that’s dripping in buttery, garlic flavor. Vegetarians might opt out of the traditional corned beef recipes, but find complete bliss with satisfying Colcannon.
It’s hard to believe that a serving of this hearty dish is only 99 calories, but the trick lies in the ingredients. Cauliflower, the proud front man of vegetables—used today for pizza crusts, mashed potatoes and vegetarian wings—is one to be thankful for. Kale-fearers are taken for a ride, as this nutrition-packer supplies a more filling meal experience, hidden under the wonderful taste of this dish.
Can’t think of a better way to get in two servings of Vegetables! Just remember that there’s an Extra to log, too. If you need a little help distinguishing Extras from Free Foods, click here! >
Calories per Serving: 99
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 2 Vegetables and 1 Extra
- 1 large head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 4 tsp. light butter spread, divided
- 1/3 cup fat-free milk
- 3 cups kale, chopped
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 leek, sliced, light green and white parts only
- 2 Tbsp. water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Steam cauliflower florets until tender and transfer to a food processor.
- Add milk and two teaspoons of light butter spread, pulsing into a smooth, creamy puree.
- Meanwhile, heat water in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add leeks and cook for about 5 minutes, or until tender. Add garlic and cook another minute. Add kale and toss to coat.
- Cover and reduce heat to low, stirring occasionally. Cook for another 10-12 minutes, or until kale is tender. Season with salt and pepper.
- Fold cauliflower puree into the kale mixture, until combined. Transfer to a baking dish and place under the broiler for about 5 minutes, or until lightly browned on top.
- Top with remaining buttery spread and serve immediately.