What goes better with a burger than broiled mozzarella cheese and marinara sauce? The answer is: nothing! This Italian Turkey and Mozzarella Burger recipe is bound to become your new go-to burger. And best part of all? You can enjoy every single bite of this cheese-topped burger with zero guilt.
This homemade patty is filled with so many flavors, it will whisk your taste buds away to burger bliss. And it’s also super simple to make—talk about a diet win! To make this delicious Italian Turkey and Mozzarella Burger, simply combine ground turkey, egg, red onion, salt, pepper, garlic powder, oregano, crushed red pepper flakes and freshly chopped basil. Form the mixture into five burger patties and cook burgers in a large skillet for five minutes on each side. Remove the burgers from the skillet and transfer to a large baking dish. Top each patty with a two tablespoons of marinara sauce and a slice of mozzarella cheese, pop in the oven until the cheese is melted and getting crispy, remove from the oven and enjoy with a whole wheat sandwich thin.
This recipe yields five servings, and each hearty burger counts as two PowerFuels and one SmartCarb on your Nutrisystem meal plan. Keep your weight loss and servings on track by logging this Italian Turkey and Mozzarella Burger in the NuMi App. Haven’t downloaded our easy-to-use food tracker app yet? It takes guesswork out of your meal plan by doing all of the work for you! Find out the many benefits of using our food tracker app, NuMi, by checking out 12 Reasons Downloading the NuMi App Will Help You Lose Weight >
Add a few more of our favorite diet-approved burger recipes to your weekly Flex menu:
Want to lose weight enjoying delicious breakfasts, lunches, dinners and snacks? Nutrisystem’s got a plan that will work for you! Click here to learn more >
Calories per Serving: 285
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 2 PowerFuels and 1 SmartCarb
- 1 pound extra lean (99%) ground turkey meat
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ red onion, finely diced
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 handful of fresh basil, chopped
- 10 Tbsp. no-sugar-added marinara sauce
- 5 thin slices (~1/2 ounce each) of fresh mozzarella
- 5 whole wheat sandwich thins
- In a large bowl add the ground turkey, egg, red onion, salt, pepper, garlic powder, oregano, crushed red pepper flakes, and freshly chopped basil. Mix with your hands until well combined. Using hands, form 5 patties.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Mist pan with nonstick cooking spray or olive oil and cook burgers in batches (2-3 per batch depending on pan size). Cook for ~5 minutes, then flip and cook for an additional ~5 minutes. Remove burgers from pan and place in a 9x9 baking dish. Cook remaining burgers and transfer to baking dish.
- Spoon ~2 tablespoons of marinara sauce over each burger and top with one slice of mozzarella cheese. Broil for ~3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Transfer turkey patties to whole wheat sandwich thins before serving.