Indulge in a delectable and nutritious Tomato Basil Flounder dish, where healthy eating meets irresistible flavors. This fresh flounder recipe will tantalize your taste buds while nourishing your well-being. Dive into the sea of savory goodness and discover a feast for your palate and a boon for your heart.
Flounder, a wonderfully mild white fish, serves as the perfect canvas for a medley of fresh flavors. Its delicate texture absorbs every hint of seasoning, making it a favorite among seafood lovers and health enthusiasts alike. And when paired with the vibrant duo of tomato and basil, this dish transforms into a symphony of freshness and nutrition.
But why choose flounder, you might ask? Apart from its delightful taste, flounder is a treasure trove of health benefits. It’s rich in lean protein, packed with essential nutrients, and low in calories – making it an excellent choice for anyone looking to maintain a healthy lifestyle without sacrificing flavor.
As we guide you through this recipe, you’ll discover how each ingredient not only contributes to the dish’s taste but also to your health. From the lycopene-rich tomatoes, known for their cancer-fighting properties, to the aromatic basil, which is not just an herb but a powerhouse of antioxidants, every element in this recipe is carefully chosen for its health benefits.
So, whether you’re a seasoned chef or a kitchen newbie, this Tomato Basil Flounder recipe is bound to impress. It’s simple yet elegant, healthy yet flavorful, and above all, a testament to the fact that healthy eating can indeed be deliciously satisfying.
An Easy and Healthy Recipe for Flounder
Delight your palate with a recipe that’s as nourishing as it is flavorful – the Tomato Basil Flounder. Serving four people, each portion contains just 158 calories, making it an excellent choice for those following the Nutrisystem program. You can log it in your NuMi app journal as two PowerFuels and half of a Vegetable serving.
Begin by heating one tablespoon of olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. As the oil warms, add minced garlic and sauté it for about a minute, until it becomes fragrant but not browned.
Introduce halved cherry tomatoes to the pan. Cook them while stirring occasionally. Watch as they soften and begin to blister, a process taking around five to nine minutes. This step is crucial for releasing all the sweet, tart flavors of the tomatoes.
Next, pour in the vegetable broth. Bring the mixture to a gentle simmer, allowing the flavors to meld together beautifully. Then it’s time to add the aromatic basil, the zesty lemon juice, and a touch of black pepper. Stir these in and let them cook together for about two minutes. Once done, remove this tomato basil broth from the pan and set it aside.
In another pan, heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. While the oil heats up, pat the flounder fillets dry with paper towels and season them with black pepper on both sides.
Place the seasoned flounder fillets in the hot oil. Cook them until they turn a lovely golden brown. This should take a few minutes per side. Be gentle when flipping them to ensure they don’t break apart.
The final step is to combine the flounder with the tomato basil broth you set aside earlier. Spoon the broth over the flounder just before serving, enveloping the fish in the warm, flavorful sauce.
This Tomato Basil Flounder recipe promises a delightful meal, where health meets taste in every bite. Perfect for a family dinner or a special occasion, it’s a dish that’s sure to impress.
Perfect Pairings: Complementing Your Tomato Basil Flounder
Creating a harmonious meal involves pairing your main dish, in this case, our Tomato Basil Flounder, with sides that enhance its flavors and textures. Here are some delightful options to consider for a well-rounded and satisfying meal:
- Quinoa or Brown Rice – For a wholesome and hearty addition, serve your flounder with a side of quinoa or brown rice. These grains are not only nutritious but also have a mild flavor that won’t overpower the delicate taste of the flounder. They will absorb the savory juices of the tomato basil sauce, making every bite a delightful experience.
- Steamed Green Vegetables – A side of steamed green vegetables such as broccoli, asparagus or green beans works wonderfully. These veggies add a pop of color and a crunch to your plate. Plus, their subtle, earthy flavors complement the light and zesty taste of the flounder.
- Roasted Baby Potatoes – Roasted potatoes, with a hint of rosemary and garlic, can be a fantastic accompaniment. Their crispy exterior and fluffy interior provide a satisfying contrast to the flounder’s soft texture.
- Garden Salad – A fresh garden salad with a variety of greens, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers and a light vinaigrette dressing can add a refreshing element to your meal. It’s a crisp, clean and healthy addition that balances the richness of the flounder.
- Couscous Salad – For something a bit different, try a couscous salad. Mixed with diced vegetables, lemon zest and herbs, it offers a light yet flavorful side that pairs beautifully with the fish.
- Grilled Vegetables – A medley of grilled vegetables like bell peppers, zucchini and eggplant, seasoned with herbs, can be a great side. The smoky flavor from the grill adds a nice depth to the overall meal.
- Garlic Bread or Artisan Rolls – For those who love their bread, a side of warm garlic bread or a selection of artisan rolls can be a perfect addition. They are great for soaking up the delicious tomato basil sauce.
- Lemon Butter Pasta – If you’re looking for a more indulgent side, a light lemon butter pasta complements the flounder without overwhelming it. The lemon in the pasta harmonizes with the fish.
- Ratatouille – A French classic, ratatouille combines eggplant, zucchini and bell peppers in a stewed tomato sauce. Its robust flavors pair well with the lightness of the flounder, offering a balance of taste and texture.
- Cauliflower Mash – For a low-carb alternative to mashed potatoes, try cauliflower mash. Its creamy texture and subtle flavor make it a great pairing for flounder, especially for those watching their carbohydrate intake.
Each of these sides brings its own unique qualities to the table, allowing you to tailor your meal to your taste preferences and dietary needs. Refer to the Nutrisystem Grocery Guide for more information on counting add-ins. Experiment with these options to find your perfect match for the Tomato Basil Flounder, and enjoy a meal that’s not just delicious but also beautifully balanced.
Calories per Serving: 158
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 2 PowerFuels and ½ Vegetable
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- ¹⁄₃ cup vegetable broth, low sodium
- ¼ cup fresh basil, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 lb. flounder filets
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and blistering, about 5-9 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth and bring to a simmer.
- Stir in the basil, lemon juice and pepper. Cook for 2 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Pat the fish dry with paper towels and season both sides with black pepper.
- Place the flounder in the oil and cook until golden brown. Flip and continue cooking for another few minutes.
- Add the tomato basil broth to the flounder before serving.