Vegetarian Meatballs With Zucchini NoodlesRecipe posted in: Flex™ Meals & Snacks, Lunches & Dinners
Zucchini noodles have been all the rage lately, and we’re more than happy to help you hop on the zucchini wagon. Paired with a side of Vegetarian meatballs, you’ll be instantly hooked on this healthy Vegetarian Meatballs With Zucchini Noodles dish—inspired by the Italian classic.
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set the baking sheet aside and grab a medium pot. Combine lentils, bay leaf and vegetable broth in the pot. Bring the pot to a boil then reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove the pot from heat, drain and let cool for a few minutes. After you let it cool, feel free to discard the bay leaf.
In your food processor, combine mushrooms, lentils, oats, Italian seasoning, crushed red pepper flakes, tomato paste, minced garlic, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Pulse the processor until the ingredients are coarsely chopped. Be sure to not puree the mixture. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Next, grab a small bowl and whisk together two eggs, and then thoroughly mix the eggs into the lentil and mushroom mixture. Using your hands, craft 12 meatballs out of the mixture. Place each meatball on the baking sheet, leaving an inch of space between. Pop in the oven for about 35 minutes. Pro tip: Occasionally rotate the meatballs as they bake!
In the meantime, add one teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil to a large sauté pan over medium heat. Toss in your zucchini noodles and cook for three to five minutes. Occasionally stir the noodles using tongs. Once the noodles are slightly softened, you’re ready to top with three Vegetarian meatballs and enjoy!
Fully aboard the zucchini bandwagon? Check out these other great zucchini recipes:
On your Nutrisystem meal plan, each serving of Vegetarian Meatballs and Zucchini Pasta counts as one PowerFuel, one SmartCarb, two Vegetables and one Extra. To ensure you’re staying on track with your meal plan, easily log each serving of this Italian dish right here in the NuMi App >
Want to lose weight enjoying delicious breakfasts, lunches, dinners and snacks? Nutrisystem’s got a plan that will work for you! Click here to learn more >
Servings: 1 PowerFuel, 1 SmartCarb, 2 Vegetables and 1 Extra
Calories per Serving: 279
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 4
- ½ cup dried brown lentils
- 1 bay leaf
- 1½ cups reduced sodium vegetable broth
- 8 oz. baby bella mushrooms
- ½ cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds zucchini noodles
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 2 cups no-sugar-added marinara sauce, heated
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium pot, combine lentils, bay leaf and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes (it’s okay if they are a bit undercooked). Remove from heat, drain and let cool for a few minutes. Discard bay leaf.
- In food processor, combine mushrooms, lentils, oats, Italian seasoning, crushed red pepper flakes, tomato paste, minced garlic and pinch of salt and pepper. Pulse until coarsely chopped; mixture should be well combined, but not pureed. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- In a small bowl, whisk together two eggs, then thoroughly mix the eggs into the lentil and mushroom mixture.
- Using hands, shake mixture into 12 uniformly-sized meatballs. Place each “meatball” onto the baking sheet, leaving an inch of space around each one. Bake for 35 minutes or until golden brown, rotating a couple times while baking.
- While “meatballs” are baking, heat olive oil over medium heat in a large sauté pan. Add zucchini noodles and cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally using tongs, until slightly softened or wilted. To serve top zucchini noodles with ½ cup marinara sauce and 3 “meatballs”.