How do I follow the Nutrisystem meal plan?
Nutrisystem plans are dietitian-designed to provide the right nutrition, right from the start. With our delicious food and easy-to-follow meal plans, you’ll drop pounds at a healthy, steady rate of 1-2 pounds per week on average while enjoying tasty food and acquiring knowledge about healthy eating.
Each day, you’ll eat Nutrisystem foods and complete your daily menu with grocery add-ins including PowerFuels, SmartCarbs, Vegetables, Extras and Free Foods (more on these below!). These foods are plan-approved and easy to incorporate.
Important Note: Does your plan include Fast 5? Your first week will look a little different. Click here to learn more! >
We encourage you to download our free NuMi app to log your food and track your weight loss journey:
Here’s a high-level overview of what you’ll eat on a typical day on Nutrisystem:
On most days, you’ll enjoy:
- 1 Nutrisystem Breakfast
- 1 Nutrisystem Lunch
- 1 Nutrisystem Dinner
- 1 Nutrisystem Snack (2 for Men)
- SmartCarbs (number varies by plan)
- PowerFuels (number varies by plan)
- Extras (Limit 3 per day)
- At least 4 servings of Non-Starchy Vegetables (Unlimited!)
- At least 64 oz. of Water (8 cups)
Most Nutrisystem plans also include Flex meals—meals and snacks that you create using the easy guidelines we provide. In addition to your daily allotment of SmartCarbs and PowerFuels, you’ll be using the SmartCarbs and PowerFuels to create your Flex Meals. You’ll eat Flex meals and snacks in place of Nutrisystem food. Learn more about Flex meals here! >
Most Nutrisystem plans get to enjoy 2 Flex breakfasts, 2 Flex lunches, 2 Flex dinners and 2 Flex snacks each week (men prepare 4 Flex snacks). The type and number of add-ins suggested for your Flex meals will vary based on your specific plan and daily calorie goals.
Please note: If your plan includes Fast 5, you’ll start adding in Flex meals in week 2, unless you are on a plan with Every Day Covered. Flex meals are not required for Nutrisystem 7-Day plans with Every Day Covered or the Uniquely Yours Ultimate Diabetes Plan.
More than 100 pounds to lose? Add 1 PowerFuel and 1 SmartCarb to your plan each day. If you are using NuMi to track your meal plan, NuMi will automatically include these extra add-ins for you.
View the Starter Guide pamphlet that came in your order for more information. If you use NuMi SmartAdapt, you will need to check the NuMi app for your specific PowerFuel and SmartCarb goals.
To help you get started:
- Click here for more information on following the Nutrisystem meal plan>
- Click here for a Sample Meal Plan to help you get started Nutrisystem! >
Click the links below to learn more about the additional grocery items you will be eating:
Nutrisystem Meal Plan Tips for Success:
- Don’t deprive yourself! Daily grocery add-ins are a delicious part of your plan and they’re essential to your success.
- We recommend exercising for 30 minutes each day. Activity can be broken up into three 10-minute sessions to fit your schedule.
- If you need some Flex meal inspiration, check out The Leaf for thousands of tasty recipes!
- Running short on time? You can add additional Nutrisystem meals and snacks to your monthly order and skip Flex meals.
- Stock up on Nutrisystem Protein Shakes for easy PowerFuels: 1 Shake = 1 PowerFuel!
- Hearty Inspirations premium meals cut down on grocery add-ins: They count as 1 Nutrisystem Entrée + 1 PowerFuel + 1 Vegetable serving on the program.
If you have additional questions regarding what to eat after reviewing the contents of your first Nutrisystem order, please connect with one of our Weight Loss Coaches who will be happy to help.
It’s important to know that changing your diet or exercise or losing weight could affect some medical conditions and medications. Your doctor may need to adjust your medications due to changes in your diet, exercise, or weight while on Nutrisystem. Make sure to check with your doctor before beginning any weight loss program, including Nutrisystem. Please be sure to eat all of the food that is recommended on the Nutrisystem program. Failure to follow the program and eat all of the food recommended may increase the risk of developing serious health complications. At Nutrisystem, we care about you. That’s why we champion safe, effective weight loss—no fads, no gimmicks, just better health.