How to Make Nice Cream at HomeArticle posted in: Diet & Nutrition
If you love ice cream, than you know: Dropping temperatures have absolutely no effect on cravings for cold, creamy decadence. When you’ve got the itch, you’ll scream for ice cream even if it’s the dead of winter and you have to trudge through piles of ice and snow to get it.
Fortunately, the Nutrisystem snack menu has you covered with some delicious (and guilt-free) ice cream options, such as the Vanilla Ice Cream Sandwich, Fudge Bar and Chocolate Brownie Sundae.
But even if you don’t have these on hand, you can still enjoy a flavorful frozen dessert without risking a fall off the weight loss wagon, thanks to “nice cream.”
That’s right, we said “nice cream.” This guilt-free take on traditional ice cream has taken the internet by storm and with good reason: Often featuring just fresh frozen fruit and a bit of liquid, this sweet frozen treat is a delicious way to satisfy cravings for warm weather favorites without sabotaging your weight loss.
Healthy Nice Cream Tips
Just a few quick tips before you get started making your healthy nice cream:
- Make sure you peel your bananas before you freeze them.
- You’ll need a pretty heavy duty blender or food processor for these recipes since they include frozen fruit.
- We’ve found that chopping your fruit into smaller pieces makes for easier pureeing.
- Every blender is different. If you have trouble getting your mixture to move, you may need to pause the blending and scrape the sides of your blender. Or, you may need to add more liquid.
- If you’re on a Nutrisystem weight loss plan, feel free to add a serving of Nutrisystem Shake Mix (and a little extra water) into your mixture for some added flavor and protein. Just be sure to count this towards your daily PowerFuels.
- If you love sorbet, you may want to enjoy your nice cream right out of the blender. If you like your sweet treats a little bit firmer and less liquid-y, pour your mixture into a glass dish and pop it into the freezer for an hour or so.
Nice Cream Ingredient Combinations and Ideas
Not sure how to make this guilt-free summer staple? We’re here to help with the indulgent, healthy nice cream combinations below.
1. Cinnamon Vanilla Nice Cream
Put three frozen bananas, a teaspoon of cinnamon, and a teaspoon of vanilla extract in your blender or food processor and blend until smooth and creamy. One third of the recipe counts as just one SmartCarb on the Nutrisystem program.
2. PB & Chocolate Nice Cream
Place three frozen bananas, three tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder, and three tablespoons of peanut butter into your blender or food processor. Then whip the mixture together until it’s nice and smooth. If you find that the peanut butter is making it difficult to blend, add a splash of water. A third of this recipe counts as one SmartCarb, one PowerFuel and one Extra on the Nutrisystem weight loss program.
3. Strawberry Banana Nice Cream
Blend two frozen bananas, a cup of frozen strawberries and one to two tablespoons of unsweetened vanilla almond milk (water works, too!) in your blender or food processor. Scoop a third of the healthy recipe into your bowl and enjoy this refreshing sweet treat that counts as one SmartCarb on the Nutrisystem program. Feel free to share the rest or pop it in your freezer for a fruity refresher you can enjoy tomorrow… and the next day!
4. Chocolate Cherry Nice Cream
This one is probably our favorite. Blend two frozen bananas, a cup of frozen sweet cherries, and a tablespoon or two of water. Once the mixture is nice and smooth, drop in two tablespoons of chocolate chips and pulse until they’re evenly distributed. A third of this sweet frozen treat counts as one SmartCarb and two Extras on the Nutrisystem program.
5. Mango Madness Nice Cream
Put two frozen bananas, one cup of frozen mango and one to two tablespoons of coconut water in your blender or food processor. Then blend the mixture until it’s smooth and creamy. Then scoop half the mixture into a bowl and top it with a tablespoon of unsweetened shredded coconut. One third of this warm weather favorite counts as one SmartCarb and one Extra (if you add the coconut) on the Nutrisystem program.
Looking for other healthy ice cream recipes? Check out these delicious ideas: