In the ever-evolving world of kitchen gadgets, the air fryer has emerged as a beloved staple. Its ability to deliver crispy, delicious results without the guilt of deep frying has made it a favorite among health-conscious foodies and busy home cooks alike.
One of the most delightful snacks you can easily whip up in this versatile appliance is bagel chips. These crispy, crunchy delights serve as the perfect vessel for your favorite dips or simply as a standalone snack that’s hard to resist.
We’re excited to share with you an air fryer bagel chips recipe that is not only incredibly easy to make but also customizable to fit your taste preferences. Whether you’re a fan of savory garlic parmesan or have a sweet tooth for cinnamon sugar, this recipe will guide you through making your own perfect batch of bagel chips.
So, preheat your air fryer and get ready to transform those leftover bagels into a snack you can’t stop munching on!
How to Make Bagel Chips in the Air Fryer
Indulge in the crispy delight of homemade bagel chips, effortlessly crafted in your air fryer. Perfect for serving four, this recipe not only offers a satisfying crunch but does so with a mindful approach to calories, tallying up to just 121 per serving. It fits seamlessly into the Nutrisystem plan, counting as one SmartCarb and one Extra in your NuMi app.
The recipe calls for a single wheat bagel, left unsliced for you to cut in a unique way—vertically first, then into smaller, quarter-inch thick slices, deviating from the traditional bagel slicing method. This not only maximizes the surface area for crispiness but also adds a fun twist to the preparation process.
The seasoning of these bagel chips is entirely up to you, whether you’re drawn to the savory allure of everything bagel seasoning or the simple, nutty flavor of sesame seeds. Each slice is lovingly brushed with a mixture of olive oil and your chosen seasonings, ensuring every bite is packed with flavor.
Cooking these bagel slices transforms them into golden, crunchy chips in just 10 minutes at 300 degrees in the air fryer, with a flip at the halfway mark to ensure even crispiness. This method not only preserves the wholesome goodness of the ingredients but also offers a healthier alternative to store-bought snacks. So, gather your ingredients and let your air fryer turn a simple wheat bagel into a snack that’s hard to resist.
Customizing Your Air Fryer Bagel Chips
One of the joys of making air fryer bagel chips is the endless possibilities for customization. Whether you prefer your snacks savory, sweet or somewhere in between, there’s a way to tailor these chips to suit your taste buds. Here are some delightful variations to inspire your next batch:
- Everything Bagel Seasoning – A classic choice that never disappoints. This seasoning offers a garlic-onion flavor with a pop of sesame and poppy seeds.
- Garlic Parmesan – After brushing with olive oil, sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese and garlic powder over the chips before air frying. The result is a cheesy, garlicky chip that’s utterly delicious.
- Rosemary Sea Salt – For a Mediterranean twist, mix finely chopped fresh rosemary with sea salt. This combination brings a fragrant and savory flavor that’s hard to beat.
- Cinnamon Sugar – Mix coconut sugar with a generous dash of cinnamon. Brush your bagel slices with melted butter instead of olive oil, then sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar mix for a sweet treat.
- Honey Glaze and Almonds – Lightly brush the bagel chips with honey mixed with a bit of olive oil, then top with slivered almonds. The honey caramelizes slightly, offering a sweet and nutty flavor.
- Spicy Lime – For a zesty kick, mix lime zest with a little cayenne pepper or chili powder. Brush your chips with olive oil, then sprinkle the spicy lime seasoning for a tangy, hot flavor.
- Buffalo Seasoning – Combine powdered garlic, onion, paprika and a hint of cayenne pepper. After air frying, toss the chips in a bowl with a light drizzle of buffalo sauce for an extra kick.
- Nutritional Yeast – For a cheesy flavor without the dairy, sprinkle nutritional yeast over your olive oil-brushed bagel slices. It’s a great source of vitamins and adds a nutty, cheesy taste.
- Seed Mix – A mix of sunflower seeds, flaxseeds and sesame seeds can add texture and a nutritional boost to your chips. Mix the seeds with your olive oil before brushing onto the slices.
With these ideas as your starting point, feel free to experiment and mix different seasonings to create your perfect bagel chip. The beauty of this recipe lies in its simplicity and adaptability, allowing you to be as creative as you like. Whether you’re preparing a snack for a cozy night in or making a batch for a social gathering, these air fryer bagel chips are sure to impress.
Perfect Pairings for Air Fryer Bagel Chips
Air fryer bagel chips, with their irresistible crunch and customizable flavors, are a versatile snack that pairs wonderfully with a variety of dips, spreads and accompaniments. Whether you’re hosting a party, enjoying a family movie night or just need a satisfying snack, here are some delightful ideas to complement your homemade bagel chips:
- Hummus – This creamy, savory dip made from chickpeas pairs well with nearly any flavor of bagel chip. Experiment with different hummus recipes, like roasted red pepper or garlic, for a flavorful snack.
- Cream Cheese Dip – Blend cream cheese with herbs and spices for a rich, tangy creamy cheese dip. You can add smoked salmon, chives and capers for a bagel-and-lox-inspired spread.
- Guacamole – Fresh, zesty guacamole not only complements the crunch of the bagel chips but also adds a healthy dose of good fats. Spice it up with some jalapeños if you’re a fan of heat.
- Salsa – Whether you prefer a chunky pico de gallo or a smoother salsa verde, the fresh flavors of tomato, onion and cilantro make salsa a refreshing choice for dipping.
Cheeses and Charcuterie
- Cheese Board – Arrange a selection of cheeses, from creamy brie to sharp cheddar, alongside your bagel chips for a sophisticated snacking experience. Add some grapes, nuts and honey for variety.
- Charcuterie Platter – Pair your chips with thinly sliced meats, such as prosciutto, salami and chorizo, to create a charcuterie board. The salty, savory meats contrast beautifully with the crispiness of the chips.
- Chocolate Hazelnut Spread – For a sweet take, serve your bagel chips with a chocolate hazelnut spread. This is especially delicious with cinnamon sugar bagel chips.
- Fruit Compotes and Jams – Choose your favorite fruit compotes or jams for a sweet and tart topping. These spreads are particularly great with plain or lightly seasoned chips. Chia jam recipes are healthy, easy to make and packed with fresh flavor!
Yogurt and Tzatziki
- Greek Yogurt Dip – Mix Greek yogurt with herbs like dill or mint, garlic and cucumber for a refreshing Greek yogurt dip. This works well with savory or plain bagel chips.
- Tzatziki – This cucumber-yogurt sauce is a cool, creamy complement to spicy or garlic-seasoned bagel chips.
Serving your air fryer bagel chips with these dips and accompaniments not only enhances the snacking experience but also turns them into a versatile appetizer or party food. Mix and match these suggestions to cater to your guests’ tastes or to enjoy a personalized snack that hits the spot every time.
Need help on counting grocery add-ins on your plan? Check out the Nutrisystem Grocery Guide!
*Please note that all air fryers cook differently. Before trying any recipe, always refer to the manufacturer safety instructions provided with your specific air fryer.
Calories per Serving: 121 (plain without seasonings)
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 SmartCarb and 1 Extra
- 1 wheat bagel, unsliced
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- Seasoning of choice (e.g., everything bagel seasoning, sesame seeds, etc.)
- Cut bagel in half vertically (opposite of how you would normally slice it). Then cut into smaller slices, about ¼-inch thick.
- Mix olive oil and seasonings. Brush onto both sides of the bagel slices.
- Cook in the air fryer at 300°F for 10 minutes, flipping halfway through the cooking time.
- *Please note that all air fryers cook differently. Before trying any recipe, always refer to the manufacturer safety instructions provided with your specific air fryer.